Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been discussions about the Optima steering sticking at the 12 o'clock position.

I have a '13 EX and it started happening 1 year ago at about 13,000 miles..... The 1 time it happened on a trip when I was driving through a snowy slushy conditions and the temp was 28-34 degrees..... it lasted for probably 100 miles and quit when I got into more normal conditions.... and has not happened until just recently (in the last few weeks)

Well it is back and started doing it again, but now I have noticed is it will do it in 30 degree weather and in 40 degree weather..... and it does not seam to be 100% "moisture" related, or speed related.

I have an appt at the dealer tomorrow (1/27/16) and of course they have never heard about the problem before.

I am hoping that someone has some knowledge about the problem..... that I can pass on to the service advisor.

Thank You

·
Registered
9 Posts
Like to know how you make out. I have a similar problem on a '15 LX. Seems like I have to jerk the wheel to get it to move past 12 o'clock in either direction. This happens at speeds up to about 40 mph. In all weather conditions.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have noticed this but it's so random that the dealer will never duplicate so I'm just going to deal with it for now. Would love to hear about a fix for it however.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took a test drive with the HEAD tech, and the Optima was doing it's 12 O'Clock stick..... He took it back into the service bay and about 10 minutes later he came and told me that there was a "EPS ECU Upgrade to Improve Logic" and would I like to have that preformed....... Yes, Please I said...... about 1/2 hour later the Service advisor told me that the car is ready and the Tech preformed the upgrade and took it out for a test drive.
I drove it home, and it is not "sticking" anymore :)

Here is exactly how it was worded on my receipt: EPS ECU Upgrade to Improve Logic. Post-Upgrade Road test revealed smoother steering travel and less effort to turn the wheels from the 12 O'Clock position.

BTW: EPS = Electronic Power Steering, and my 2013 Optima EX has had previously had the steering changed from Light (factory) to Standard, and the it was able to stay this way.

I am going on a 1,000 mile trip to Palm Springs CA at the end of this week...... and I will report back on if I notice any problems.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Took a test drive with the HEAD tech, and the Optima was doing it's 12 O'Clock stick..... He took it back into the service bay and about 10 minutes later he came and told me that there was a "EPS ECU Upgrade to Improve Logic" and would I like to have that preformed....... Yes, Please I said...... about 1/2 hour later the Service advisor told me that the car is ready and the Tech preformed the upgrade and took it out for a test drive.
I drove it home, and it is not "sticking" anymore :)

Here is exactly how it was worded on my receipt: EPS ECU Upgrade to Improve Logic. Post-Upgrade Road test revealed smoother steering travel and less effort to turn the wheels from the 12 O'Clock position.

BTW: EPS = Electronic Power Steering, and my 2013 Optima EX has had previously had the steering changed from Light (factory) to Standard, and the it was able to stay this way.

I am going on a 1,000 mile trip to Palm Springs CA at the end of this week...... and I will report back on if I notice any problems.
Definitely come back with your update as I have this problem intermittently, but is more common in colder weather at virtually any speed.

Did you attempt to have the mode changed in an effort to fix this to no avail and then had them do the upgrade? Which mode do you like better?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'vehad this problem since about 10,000 kms. I only happens in fall, winter and spring....never in the summer. I was in at the dealer a few weeks ago for an oil change and told them to fix it, but of course, it is intermittent and they "could not replicate the problem". Got a call a week later from the dealer asking if I'd be willing to sell them my car as they are looking for used Optima's for their used car lot. I told them I'm interested, as a "summer" car in Montreal Canada (!) doesn't work out well. I need a van, so I'm trading it in for a '16 Sedona LX+. This model has normal hydraulic steering and not any of this EPS crap. Tomorrow it is "bye bye!" Optima. I love the look of the car, it handles well enough (other than steering when it sticks), OK on gas, but the sticking DRIVES ME NUTS when it happens. You cannot relax and enjoy driving when it happens.
BTW, they updated and reset the EPS ECU, and the problem came back...drove off the dealer lot, 5 minutes up the HWY. I would have turned around, but the service dept was already closed when I picked up the car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The update did not fix the steering issue.. The steering really sticks (at the 12 o'clock position) the colder it gets.

Folks, We really need to get together and have Kia address this issue. Having a car do this is NOT ACCEPTABLE

Let's work together

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
The update did not fix the steering issue.. The steering really sticks (at the 12 o'clock position) the colder it gets.

Folks, We really need to get together and have Kia address this issue. Having a car do this is NOT ACCEPTABLE

Let's work together
Well crap! I just noticed in the last couple of weeks that mine is doing this as well. I first thought that somehow my steering setting has gone back from "[email protected]" to what it was before when I had the KIA tech change this over two years ago. Didn't know about the TSB but it seems to not be the real fix.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, I went in to complain, but the service dept wasnt open yet, so I was looking at the new cars in the showroom. Spoke to a sales rep and he asked if I was interested in trading in my Optima for something else. I looked into it and in the end I bought a Sedona LX+. They gave me full value of what I had left to finance for the Optima, so it worked out in the end. Bye Bye stick, stick

BTW, the sedona LX+ has hydraulic steering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Kia just came out with a new TSB regarding a "notchy feel" with the steering. It consists of running a test with the scan tool with the MDPS disconnected from the Rack itself so you can find out what is binding. If there is too much effort, the entire MDPS unit needs to be replaced, otherwise there is a brand new ECU update that can help. If you are still covered under warranty i would recommend you take it in and tell them what youve seen here and have them run the steering effort measurement test.

TL;DR If youre covered under warranty take it in, and tell them to perform TSB CHA 060. This should take care of it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had this issue happen to me one day around 19,500 miles on my '14 SX Turbo. I was driving back from visiting family for the holidays, and it lasted for about 7 hours at highway speeds (50-80mph) in early January (in Wisconsin, so it was cold out), and kept happening even after turning off the car when fueling up. I thought it might have been because the car was loaded up with a lot of luggage in the trunk and back seat, because I haven't had it happen again since returning home. It could be weather related, but I've been out in colder weather and haven't had it happen again. I haven't loaded up the car again since then either though, so I have not yet tested my heavy load theory.

Nonetheless, thank you Mcraggleton for the TSB #. I'll definitely keep it handy for my next visit to the dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone had this latest TSB performed with good results? I have this issue, and would like to go to the dealer with proper info to have the issue addressed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I realize the thread is old, but I wanted to chime in. I had the sticking steering problem as well. I finally was able to get the Kia dealership to replace the MBPS and supposedly the steering assembly. This is according to the notes on the sheet I was given. Have a good one!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts