Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Kia Optima SX bought in February , Since the first week we had it, we had steering issues. That was with 63 miles on it to start with.

Took a trip that weekend to Houston, 1k miles round trip, this is what happened since then!

What it is doing, When I am going down the road in a straight line, the Car Drifts left, I correct it, then it drifts right, and I correct then left and then right, NON STOP. I have taken it to dealer 6 times now. 3 different dealers. All notice it, and KIA Refuses to repair it because it is within SPECS. I am beyond annoyed. I have argued till I am blue. Every time they have said they don't notice, I have taken them on a drive and showed them. Then they Notice! I have had 2 brand new loaner SX's. None of them do this.

They continue to "calibrate" the vehicles steering, and the problem still persists. I love this car, but literally HATE it at the same time. After driving it to Houston every two weeks and back, My forearms are tired from all the correcting I have to constantly do. My Wife Refuses to drive it now, because she is afraid she is going to drift into another car or a concrete wall.

What is your suggestions? What is the next step? I have called KIA USA and all they said is to take it to dealer! I HAVE!!!!! 6 times. I have 11600 miles on it already. Love the MPG and Power it has, But the steering is absolutely driving me insane. !!!!HELP!!!! :cry:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm have the same problem, the car feels like its teetering back and forth. The car should be able to go in a straight line without fighting the road. My service guys said the suspension needs to break in, he said if you are still have that problem after 2000 miles to bring it in. It seems like it follows every road perfection which is so dumb.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is so bad that I almost hit other cars Daily! Main reason I bought this car was forgreat MPG. Looks like I am going to stick to driving the 19mpg 550i now Just to avoid hitting others. I am in Medical Sales, and drive all over the place daily, So I was hoping for a great car that got great mpg. Instead I have a car that gets Good mpg and drives me insane. :(

·
Premium Member
2011 KIA Optima
1,750 Posts
Don't give up, keep pushing. I'm a bit suprised the dealer hasn't become an advocate for you in this matter. I'd be contacting the attorney generals office or escalate this through the regional rep for your dealership. Pushing is the only way to get the attention you need to get this resolved.

·
Banned
3,439 Posts
I have the same happening on my Hybrid. It's leaning left, then if corrected goes right and after a little while, goes back to the left. I had my car repaired this week, fixing the stuck shifter button. When dropping it off, I've told them about the left pull. Today they called me to say that the shifter was fixed, however, they ordered a new steering column to address the left pull, because something was not calibrated correctly. I would have to comeback next week when they get the part and have it replaced. We'll see what comes out of it. First I've heard such a fix for a left pull.

Paraphrasing from the receipt: After service manager and tech drove the car, they noticed electronic steering to be malfunctioning and replacement of the steering column is required.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Please check this thread guys...I hear ya.. I noticed it since I had 8 miles on her... 3 weeks later I am at 1160... I need to bring it in... but read that thread... there is a fix for the pull issues... Hyundai March spec, and a gentleman also posted what needed to be done. DEMAND to speak with your regional rep and show him the fixes on that thread... they can contact the fixing dealership if needed.

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/6...scussion/2126-left-pull-tsb-issued-034-a.html

·
Registered
2012 & 2015 Kia Optima SX & SXL
938 Posts
Please check this thread guys...I hear ya.. I noticed it since I had 8 miles on her... 3 weeks later I am at 1160... I need to bring it in... but read that thread... there is a fix for the pull issues... Hyundai March spec, and a gentleman also posted what needed to be done. DEMAND to speak with your regional rep and show him the fixes on that thread... they can contact the fixing dealership if needed.

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/6...scussion/2126-left-pull-tsb-issued-034-a.html
Read the last 2 pages of the link that jackals provided above. I posted:

- Please read. I've posted this on the other thread, but no one seems to take this seriously. I even read from another thread where this guy lost 5000 dollar from trading his car in and all. That's just stupid..I'm sure some of you guys are experiencing pulling issue, and it's something you don't like about the car. Don't let yourself deal with this when it might be an easy fix for your car..
. If you still have pulling issues, please read. -

I had pulling issue as well. I went to the dealership more than 10 times due to right pull issue. They were even tired of me coming in for this. The pulling issue I had was terrible, it used to change the lane within 3sec @ highway speed. After rotating the tires, performing wheel alignment over 7 times, adding more struts (within a couple months), they finally gave up on my car, saying everything is in its spec and nothing can be done. After going through all this, they denied it pulls to the right even after having their technician drive my car. So, I went to the other dealership, they looked up my car's history and pulled up the database, and noticed the new alignment spec was updated -Just recently in Feb/March 2012 or so-, and mine was clearly out of spec. They did the tire alignment with the newer spec, and it's all fixed! It does not pull at all. If the dealership didn't check if the new alignment spec is out, of course your car's pulling issue can't be fixed since they are using the OLD, INCORRECT ALIGNMENT SPEC!

Anyone who is still dealing with pulling issues, make sure your service dept check their database for the newer alignment spec. They are using the old alignment spec, that is why issue is not being resolved. I've delt with this issue for MONTHS, and I finally got this to work. If your Kia dealership can't find the newer alignment spec, talk to your technician and refer that Hyundai has updated their newer alignment spec which works for left/right pulling. Ask them to use the Hyundai's updated spec if they can't find that from database; you might have to talk to a service dept manager.

I have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited, 18" wheels, and a 2012 Optima SX in my household. My Sonata used to drift to the right, and I had to correct them to go straight. When I pulled it to the left slightly, it drifted to the left for a sec or so, and then start drifting to the right again. I'm attaching a photo of adjustments made for my car's alignment spec. If your KIA dealership doesn't have any updated alignment spec, please show them the photo of my adjusted alignment spec to your service manager.

I hope this spec works for you guys.

Text Document Font Paper Receipt

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2012 Kia Optima SX bought in February , Since the first week we had it, we had steering issues. That was with 63 miles on it to start with.

Took a trip that weekend to Houston, 1k miles round trip, this is what happened since then!

What it is doing, When I am going down the road in a straight line, the Car Drifts left, I correct it, then it drifts right, and I correct then left and then right, NON STOP. I have taken it to dealer 6 times now. 3 different dealers. All notice it, and KIA Refuses to repair it because it is within SPECS. I am beyond annoyed. I have argued till I am blue. Every time they have said they don't notice, I have taken them on a drive and showed them. Then they Notice! I have had 2 brand new loaner SX's. None of them do this.

They continue to "calibrate" the vehicles steering, and the problem still persists. I love this car, but literally HATE it at the same time. After driving it to Houston every two weeks and back, My forearms are tired from all the correcting I have to constantly do. My Wife Refuses to drive it now, because she is afraid she is going to drift into another car or a concrete wall.

What is your suggestions? What is the next step? I have called KIA USA and all they said is to take it to dealer! I HAVE!!!!! 6 times. I have 11600 miles on it already. Love the MPG and Power it has, But the steering is absolutely driving me insane. !!!!HELP!!!! :cry:
Wow Im having the same issue. I have 1555 miles on it and it has been to Kia twice. They keep aligning and balancing and rotating and stating it is fixed. But it wants to do anything but go straight. Drives me nuts. I love my car, but don't love driving it.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Had same problem. Was ready to sell the car if it couldn't be fixed.

Took it in at 3000 miles for first oil change and asked them to look at alignment. They did and said it was off and they fixed it. Car drives like a dream now and I am at 6500 miles.

Try another dealer, like mine in Stafford, TX. Just outside Houston on Hwy 59.

Sent from one of my 4 iPads

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
29,375 Posts
There are many discussions about this issue over several different threads on this forum, the issue has been fixed for some, but if they can't fix it they will buy your car back from you if you play your cards right as they have with other members in the past.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Had same problem. Was ready to sell the car if it couldn't be fixed.

Took it in at 3000 miles for first oil change and asked them to look at alignment. They did and said it was off and they fixed it. Car drives like a dream now and I am at 6500 miles.

Try another dealer, like mine in Stafford, TX. Just outside Houston on Hwy 59.

Sent from one of my 4 iPads
What fixed your issue?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Definately Taking this to them today after my cases are done. Cant stand not being able to drive the car because of their lack of integrity and knowledge on the subject. Obviosly KIA needs to step up and get this unser control! I have started to ask other K5 owners as I run into them. so far three out of 10 or so has this same issue. And the others may have it but doesnt bother them or the dont drive like they stole the car. Thanks all! :) Great Forum! Although they need to tone down the freaking ads a tad bit. It is a little excessive.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
My car developed a heavy pull to the left (more during acceleration) after doing my 6000 mile tire rotation. first thing I did was take it to the tire shop and have them check out all the tires. They rotated them several different ways, including back the way they were and the car still pulled left. Took it to two dealers. first dealer said it was "normal" for there to be some torque steer. THey didn't fix anything.

second dealer also said it was normal, but I pressed them to put the car on the alignment rack. the toe was off by .05% (yes half a percent) outside of designated spec, and so was the steering wheel. They got everything back to spec, but the **** car still pull left during acceleration. It does it thru all types of acceleration too. Light throttle, medium and heavy. I also notice it while going up inclines with regular cruising throttle. its SO annoying. I am at my wits end with it and don't know what my next step will be because I am not going to take a day off of work so I can go drive the car with the service tech in it.

I mentioned the TSB034 and they said it only applies to 2011 models.

I would not have bought the car if the torque steer was as excessive as it is right now. I miss having a rear wheel drive car right now. This combined with the annoying turbo rattle at certain RPM's and an annoying squeak that I can't work out....i might be buying out of this lease contract soon. Who knows.

My car now has about 7200 miles on it. and its a lease....36000 miles/3 years. I've only had it for 8 months. I really like the car, but I hate this issue.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.