Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 KIA 2013 KIA Optima
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just became aware of slight play in steering wheel at low speed, under 15 MPH. I can wiggle wheel left to right and hear slight click or knock at the end of travel. Car moving straight, but a bit of play. Car has 57K miles and I LOVE it. Should I take it to dealer or local suspension shop?
Check out BronzeKIA.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
could be the flexible steering coupler wearing out. if so, you can compare the clicking sound to what's in videos online. if sounds the same, then you might be able to have it fixed under a technical bulletin if you ask the dealership.

There are many videos online, here is an example:

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima EX Premium Package
7 Posts
I just became aware of slight play in steering wheel at low speed, under 15 MPH. I can wiggle wheel left to right and hear slight click or knock at the end of travel. Car moving straight, but a bit of play. Car has 57K miles and I LOVE it. Should I take it to dealer or local suspension shop?
Check out BronzeKIA.
I'm not sure I know exactly what you're referring to, but I THINK I had a similar issue before.

I noticed that whenever I ran over even the smallest of bumps in the road, my suspension would make clacking sounds - almost like dishes colliding in the kitchen sink. Apparently, it was a suspension issue and I got it repaired for under $250. After I got it repaired, my car runs like new again and I'm at 64.7k miles on my 2013 Optima EX.

If this is the kind of issue you're referring to, I'd recommend getting it looked at. Apparently, it involves tightening something in the suspension (vague description, I know).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts