Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia SX Turbo
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, 2014 SXTurbo, about a year ago I started noticing and rattle noise in the steering at low speeds when you hit a bump. It has gotten worse, I now hear it within the steering column inside the car and it sounds like medal clanking.
Thoughts???

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,511 Posts
Steering coupler? When stopped turn wheel left & right, play in wheel noise at bottom, or lower part of column?
Letter from Kia 2011-2013 and some 2014:

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,712 Posts
Sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this issue, it definitely sounds like the steering coupler issue as @Turbonut mentioned above. The good thing is they did extend the warranty on there so it should be covered for you.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,264 Posts
If the coupler is bad, you might also hear some symptoms when the car is stopped and just sitting there, but you turn the wheel back and forth quickly. Also without going over a bump, just driving smoothly and you crank the wheel back and forth.

If there are no sounds or issues unless you go over a bump, maybe you have worn end links or other suspension parts are loose/worn.

·
Registered
2014 Kia SX Turbo
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is about 1/2 to 1" play in the steering wheel when sitting still with a small knock sound as you "wiggle it!"

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
211 Posts
There is about 1/2 to 1" play in the steering wheel when sitting still with a small knock sound as you "wiggle it!"
The coupler is like a low creaking sound turning steering wheel at a stand still. A knock is probably a tie rod or stabilizer link. If you jack the front end up and are able to wiggle a tire/wheel side to side with some play probably a tie rod. Up and down play is usually ball joint. Stabilizer link you should be able to look at it or grab it and move it if bad.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
That's the steering coupler, it will feel like "play" and you can have it make a clunk or clicking sound depending on how much rubber is left between the metal pieces.

·
Registered
2014 Kia SX Turbo
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The coupler is like a low creaking sound turning steering wheel at a stand still. A knock is probably a tie rod or stabilizer link. If you jack the front end up and are able to wiggle a tire/wheel side to side with some play probably a tie rod. Up and down play is usually ball joint. Stabilizer link you should be able to look at it or grab it and move it if bad.
I changed the front brakes less than a month ago and I did NOT feel any play in the process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm dealing with this currently on 2013 Optima. Per customer satisfaction /warranty extension program letter dated 4/16/16: MDPS Motor Driven Power Steering unit of 2011-2013 and some 2014 Optima vehicles are eligible for replacement under warranty if hasn't been previously replaced. The MDPS unit may experience noise when turning the steering wheel , especially while vehicle is stopped. This condition occurs mainly in extremely high humidity states adjacent to warm ocean waters (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Miss, N. Carolina and Texas). Kia dealer will replace the flexible coupling with a new one at Kia's expense. Customers in all other states: Although this condition is heavily focused on the identified states...Kia is extending the the warranty on the flexible coupling from 5 yrs/60,000 miles to 10 yrs/unlimited mileage starting from date of first service. If within the extended warranty period you experience the condition described above, your Kia dealership will replace the flexible coupling in the MDPS at no cost to you.

I called my local dealership today (Ft. Worth, TX) . I described the issue and requested a service appointment for replacement per the 2016 letter. The Kia service representative quickly confirmed it is covered under the warranty extension and scheduled me for an appt next week. No 3rd degree or hoops to jump through (so far). I will post update after repair is done. BTW- I got an estimate from a local chain Auto Care Center for $343. The part costs less than $10 bucks-rest is labor costs + $40 diagnostic fee.

·
Registered
2014 Kia SX Turbo
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I took a video of of the steering column making the noise but I cannot figure out how to attach it!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
When you are composing your message, there is a series of icons representing the message editing options. You should see a camera icon, then to the right a smiley face, and to the right of that, three dots like this ...

Click on the three dots, and you should see more icons. Look for the video icon, labeled Media.

Click media, then you can paste the link to your video.

It will then look like this:

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 193K with Drag wheels.
396 Posts
OP - so what did dealer say? Under warranty? It is an awful sound!

·
Registered
2014 Kia SX Turbo
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So! I happen to be able to stop by Bill Bryan Kia in Leesburg, FL yesterday around 3:00 and just asked if they could listen to see what they thought it was. Well, it was covered by warranty and they actually had an opening right then. Problem solved!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts