Kia Optima Forums banner

701 - 720 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Optima SX Turbo
18 Posts
go one page back and I explain all about it and why you may or may not get it done
Noticed you drive a 2015 Optima EX. Is this mode change available for all 2015 Optimas? I am definately going to try to get my 2015 SX Turbo switched to SX Standard

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
135 Posts
yes because as far as I know they all have electric power steering. Your Sx should already be set to Sx standard because you drive a Sx. They may be able to change it to a lower or higher setting. I would recommend going with a higher setting as it stiffens the steering response.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima LX
38 Posts
Dropped by Ball Kia in National City (San Diego) today to get my oil changed (1400 miles) and they also had a recall on the door handle. I mentioned the steering issues and reported my poor steering at freeway speeds.

They had the car for 2 hours.

They checked the alignment, good, then proceeded to tell me that:

1. It was all my fault for putting "aggressive tires" on the car.
2. It was all because I'm used to hydo steering.
3. I'm mistaken, that's not how electric steering works, there is no dead zone...

Last trip ever to Ball. I can't really recommend them at all. 2nd day I had the car, it was in their shop because the alternator fell apart. They couldn't get a replacement for a week! Now I ask to have a valid concern taken care of, one they are well aware of, and they let me know it's just because I'm an idiot.

I recommend driving to the next dealer at all times.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,436 Posts
Dropped by Ball Kia in National City (San Diego) today to get my oil changed (1400 miles) and they also had a recall on the door handle. I mentioned the steering issues and reported my poor steering at freeway speeds.

They had the car for 2 hours.

They checked the alignment, good, then proceeded to tell me that:

1. It was all my fault for putting "aggressive tires" on the car.
2. It was all because I'm used to hydo steering.
3. I'm mistaken, that's not how electric steering works, there is no dead zone...

Last trip ever to Ball. I can't really recommend them at all. 2nd day I had the car, it was in their shop because the alternator fell apart. They couldn't get a replacement for a week! Now I ask to have a valid concern taken care of, one they are well aware of, and they let me know it's just because I'm an idiot.

I recommend driving to the next dealer at all times.

Tim
Sadly, a bunch of idiots at that dealership.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
20 Posts
Hey I'm from Illinois and was interested in doing this as well. Did they charge you? And, what are the options for the steering? Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Optima 2014 Optima EX
11 Posts
I had mine to the dealership (great people). They checked alignment, tires, steering, etc. etc. Everything they could.

I finally took care of it myself.

I traded it.

·
Registered
2015 Optima
3 Posts
Is there anyone from northeast Ohio who's had this done successfully? Had my 2015 LX in for an oil change & asked about it. The service writer of course referred me to the button on the steering wheel. Which doesn't exist on the LX. (You'd think he would know that...). So he talks to the tech, who later tells me that there's no way for him to change the steering, other than to physically adjust the linkage. Seriously? And he didn't even bother to look at the printouts I had.

The dealer is Montrose Kia in Sheffield Lake Ohio. The salespeople were great, but every time me I've had my car in for service, they don't seem to know their a** from a hole in the ground. They've tried to return my vehicle without washing it, tried to sell me services I didn't need because their guy copied down my mileage wrong. They just seen super unprofessional. And EVERY TIME, the service writer has practically begged me to fill out the follow-up email survey with all 10's. Because, as he says, "corporate looks at anything less than 10 as the same as getting a zero". Well, they'll get all 10's when they earn them. Not because they beg for them.

·
Registered
2015 Kia 2015 Optima SX Turbo
7 Posts
Just had the new software update installed and alignment checked. Toe-in was out just a bit. Neither helped my constant correcting. Service Manager stated they would change the whole electronic steering if necessary to fix it. My dealer, Rusty Wallace KIA in Louisville TN may be the most helpful, cooperative dealer in the world.
Those whose dealers say they can't or don't know how to do any of the mode changing etc, are having smoke blown up your you know what. If they truly don't know how to do it they need to go back to training. But I don't believe the steering mode has anything to do with this problem. I think it is the unit not being able to maintain driving center issue. Strange that this is only happening with the Optimas, at least as far as I know. At this point, I'm not sure ANYONE KNOWS how to fix this issue. Some of the salesmen claim there is no problem with the 2016 models but I can't swear to that.
Have you come up with an answer for the wandering? After 3-4 alignments and having the steering setting changed once. This car still is nerve racking to drive. The service department blamed my tires. So I just put new tires on it and the problem is still there. I'm trying to find a solution to this.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
22 Posts
I emailed my local dealership and they haven't heard about it. I sent them the steps posted earlier and said they would look at it but "wouldn't know if Kia can pay for it."

Driving to Texas soon and would like to get this fixed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
135 Posts
I emailed my local dealership and they haven't heard about it. I sent them the steps posted earlier and said they would look at it but "wouldn't know if Kia can pay for it."

Driving to Texas soon and would like to get this fixed.

this isn't something kia will pay for. Ive explained more detail in prior post but we are not suppose to be changing it at all. its more of a goodwill part on the dealer and honestly takes less then 5 minutes to complete. Also its not a "fix" as technically there isn't anything wrong with the car and its just a design feature or trait of the car.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
22 Posts
this isn't something kia will pay for. Ive explained more detail in prior post but we are not suppose to be changing it at all. its more of a goodwill part on the dealer and honestly takes less then 5 minutes to complete. Also its not a "fix" as technically there isn't anything wrong with the car and its just a design feature or trait of the car.
What would you recommend then?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
135 Posts
What would you recommend then?

bring it to me...however that may not be possible lol. honestly I would talk directly to a tech and see if they would be willing to quickly do the change for you. other then that it depends on the dealer itself and whether or not they are dicks about it. even once the steering mode does get changed I still feel as if there is a slight wander to the car at higher speed but once again I believe this is a normal trait of the car with all the optima I have driven.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
22 Posts
bring it to me...however that may not be possible lol. honestly I would talk directly to a tech and see if they would be willing to quickly do the change for you. other then that it depends on the dealer itself and whether or not they are dicks about it. even once the steering mode does get changed I still feel as if there is a slight wander to the car at higher speed but once again I believe this is a normal trait of the car with all the optima I have driven.
Call their tech and explain to them lol

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
135 Posts
Call their tech and explain to them lol

not call...talk directly to. you have to remember there is a lot of stuff to learn about cars in general not to mention each brand has its own unique traits. this steering mode change is not a common thing for techs to know about because it isn't something we are suppose to be doing. other words it not a item that is shared with us. the only reason I know of it is because I own a optima and I am involved in the optima's. the a run of the mill tech may not know about it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
22 Posts
Well, I went into my local dealership (Columbia MO) and asked about the steering modes. They looked at me like some idiot and stated there wasn't an option to do that. He stated that his "number 6 tech in the country" would know about that. They offered to try and plug in their GDS for 60 bucks even if they couldn't do it. Total bullshit. Makes me upset. Closest dealership Is Jeff city which is 1.5 hours away

·
Premium Member
2014 Optima-Black
1,119 Posts
He stated that his "number 6 tech in the country" would know about that.
That would be a "6th from the bottom"!

Closest dealership Is Jeff city which is 1.5 hours away
Consider them by taking your car there and asking the same thing to see what their response is and make sure their Tech isn't the '5th' from the bottom. If they know what they're doing, it's well worth your trip to have a competent Service Dept. working on your Optima.

As far as distance goes, just make it a day trip. It's not like your having to have your vehicle serviced once a week. I had my 1st service (15K mi.) performed by one of our forum Tech's (snowwhitesxl13) who works at Fette KIA in NJ. That's 1.5 hours from where I live and I took it there because I wouldn't trust any of the 4 KIA shops that are somewhat closer to me. I don't take chances!

I know @RichardTheKiaTech will probably chime in to disagree as he state in his post preceding yours that Techs are not supposed to be making this adjustment and therefore aren't being shared this info. This may have been true a while ago but within the past year this has become more of a known procedure because of bulletin coming out to make such adjustments on certain year models. If the '6th Top country Tech' hasn't at least heard of this, let alone performed the adjustment, then what else hasn't he heard that he needs to know to and go slightly above and beyond the call of duty to service your to the best of his ability. Sorry, I just disagree!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
21 Posts
Paid $50 today and they switched my steering from Lite to Standard. Told me the 2011 and 2012 SX have only 2 options.

The change made such a big difference in how it drives, I love it.

701 - 720 of 759 Posts