Kia Optima Forums banner

41 - 60 of 755 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Which is the default setting? Do you know the differences between them? Just curious because my steering "feels" weird. Hard to describe but very numb and disconnected.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I had no idea that this was an option. It took a while to get use to the loose wheel and not look like a drunk. I will get this done on my first oil change. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I also went to a dealer here in Richmond and they had no clue what I'm talking about. Also nova, did u to to Ourisman chantilly Kia?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yes... I did mine at Ourisman in Chantilly. Sorry for the delay... been busy the last couple days. Talk to Brad in service. He knows all about this issue.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'm glad I am not the only one who is having that drunk driving experience on the highway! I told my dealer about what was happing and he had no idea what I was talking about, but I will be getting the setting set next week. Hopefully that helps. I can't stand the car wondering on the highway. My arm gets tired on long trips from all the corrections.
That's exactly how I felt before my adjustment was done! I haven't had one complaint or feeling "drunk" since. :)

Okay I called the dealership I bought the car from and they had no clue what I was talking about. He said they wouldn't charge but it takes 10-15 minutes to download and get info from their GDS. So I called another KIA dealership by my work and the SA interrupted me and said he knows exactly what I'm talking about. There are 3 settings that the car ESP can be adjusted/changed to. So I went ahead and made an appt Monday since they make me feel more comfortable. I'll report back with how the car feels next week.
Glad to hear that there are other SA's out there who know about this issue. I would think this would be some sort of service bulletin nationwide, by now. :(

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I had no idea that this was an option. It took a while to get use to the loose wheel and not look like a drunk. I will get this done on my first oil change. Thanks! :)
It's funny that you don't really notice the "looseness" at lower speeds and unless you take a test drive on the highway, you probably won't notice it until you've owned the car for at least a week. If your next oil change is soon, that's the best time to get it done... just be sure to tell them ahead of time that you want it done, because it does add about 20-30 mins to the service time so they can download the correct steering setting.

Which is the default setting? Do you know the differences between them? Just curious because my steering "feels" weird. Hard to describe but very numb and disconnected.
If I had to choose, I would say that the "SX Light" that David mentioned is the "OEM" setting on the SX/L's. It is a VERY light and responsive setting for the steering, that's for sure, but it also makes it hard to keep the wheel steady (i.e. w/ one hand atop the wheel at 12 o'clock), as the computer seems to read tiny variations in the wheel and overcompensates, IMHO. I believe my SA put mine in "comfort" to give me a chance to feel how the "complete opposite" setting feels so I could see if there was a true difference in the before/after settings. I like how mine drives a lot better now than it did before!

It actually feels more connected, to me, too! :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just had the change done. WOW.

The Master Tech said the 3 modes are SX Lite, SX Medium, and Standard. He put mine in Standard which gives the most resistance.

Seriously, why don't all SX/SXL cars come with the sportiest setting on by default!?!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
122 Posts
If I had to choose, I would say that the "SX Light" that David mentioned is the "OEM" setting on the SX/L's. It is a VERY light and responsive setting for the steering, that's for sure, but it also makes it hard to keep the wheel steady (i.e. w/ one hand atop the wheel at 12 o'clock), as the computer seems to read tiny variations in the wheel and overcompensates, IMHO. I believe my SA put mine in "comfort" to give me a chance to feel how the "complete opposite" setting feels so I could see if there was a true difference in the before/after settings. I like how mine drives a lot better now than it did before!

It actually feels more connected, to me, too! :)
My steering feels heavy but like it is over boosted. Almost rubbery. When I turn the wheel, even slightly, it feels like my movement is amplified and the wheel will over correct. Not natural feeling at all. So far there have been several different names for the settings including light, medium, heavy, standard, comfort, sport. It would be nice to get a definitive answer as to what the 3 settings are, which is the default, and what are the differences. The more people that post the better info we will have. Thanks to all who have posted so far.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Just had the change done. WOW.

The Master Tech said the 3 modes are SX Lite, SX Medium, and Standard. He put mine in Standard which gives the most resistance.

Seriously, why don't all SX/SXL cars come with the sportiest setting on by default!?!

That's what mine feels like now... more resistance, and in my opinion, more sporty feeling. At least it feels more connected and like past sports cars I've owned. Glad to hear yours is fixed now, too!

My steering feels heavy but like it is over boosted. Almost rubbery. When I turn the wheel, even slightly, it feels like my movement is amplified and the wheel will over correct. Not natural feeling at all. So far there have been several different names for the settings including light, medium, heavy, standard, comfort, sport. It would be nice to get a definitive answer as to what the 3 settings are, which is the default, and what are the differences. The more people that post the better info we will have. Thanks to all who have posted so far.
I agree... sorry if my setting names aren't accurate... I did this 2 months ago and don't remember exactly what the SA told me. Sounds like NTX (above) has the latest names/info for you, though! Glad to help, at any rate! :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't wanna sound like a jerk but you keep asking forum members about these settings, and names of them, and seem agitated when not getting the answer. May I suggest a call to a local dealer and maybe you will have the answer you seek. Then you can post the info for all to see. Just a suggestion

Don

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if this apply to Canadian version as well and I might have to give my dealer a call but I already know the answer which is "We never heard of it". Fucking dealer always have to give us a hard time about everything LOL. Still give it a shot though :D

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if this apply to Canadian version as well and I might have to give my dealer a call but I already know the answer which is "We never heard of it". Fucking dealer always have to give us a hard time about everything LOL. Still give it a shot though :D
DINO.... this could be a '12 & '13 issue. Someone said earlier that they had an '11 and no issues w/ their steering. How does your steering feel? Do you get the "drunk driver" sensation at highway speeds?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't wanna sound like a jerk but you keep asking forum members about these settings, and names of them, and seem agitated when not getting the answer. May I suggest a call to a local dealer and maybe you will have the answer you seek. Then you can post the info for all to see. Just a suggestion

Don
Not agitated at all. Sorry if my posts read that way. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can before I call the dealer so it sounds like I know what I am talking about.

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
DINO.... this could be a '12 & '13 issue. Someone said earlier that they had an '11 and no issues w/ their steering. How does your steering feel? Do you get the "drunk driver" sensation at highway speeds?
Hmm, good point Nova and NO I have no issues with mine but thought I could get more stiffness or restriction when controling my steeringwheel. Kind of like BMW type of feeling and yes this is a Kia I know I know :) LOL.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

It actually feels more connected, to me, too! :)[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how mine feels. Sounds like the standard mode or comfort mode is what I'm looking to get.

·
Registered
298 Posts
So I've driven about 75 miles on Standard mode now and I'm even more befuddled why this mode isn't the default setting for the sportier SX/SXL models. Obviously, since this is EPS, there's still not enough road feedback, but the overall drivability of the vehicle has increased. The wheel doesn't move around easily while on the highway, and the car really just feels more connected to the road. It's nowhere near as much resistance as my previous 2008 Infiniti G35 sedan, but it's still pretty good.

Kia should really ask all dealers to reset the steering mode on all pre-2014 Optima SX/SXL models just to enhance the driving experience!

41 - 60 of 755 Posts
About this Discussion
754 Replies
224 Participants
1st timer
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing