Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went in for another 3k mile oil change and decided to inquire about the steering "modes" I've heard about.

The service advisor knew what I was talking about to my surprise and had another advisor come out with a tablet and cable.

SA with tablet and cable hooks up the car and tells me I am in "SX lite" mode and that all the cars come in like this. Changes it to the 2nd setting fairly quick and I can immediately feel
the loose feeling has disappeared. My wife even noticed. Definitely a lot more sportier feel.

I might go back to check out the 3rd setting tomorrow.

Anybody else do this yet?

·
Registered
101 Posts
First I have heard of it. How many modes are there and are they available on all Optimas? Mine seems to push in the corners and the shocks do not dampen the rebound enough. I would definitely like to hear more about this.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I did mine at my oil change last month, too. The "OEM" setting on my SXL was WAAAAY too "loosey goosey" for me. The new/current setting is much tighter and sportier feeling. Ironically, the service agent told me I went from "sport" to "comfort" if memory serves me. I know it sounds weird, because I was thinking the same thing at the time. I have no idea what all the settings are, but I'm much happier now... and not looking like a drunk driver on the highway helps a lot, too! LOL!

And yes, my wife noticed the difference, too! LOL!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
So what do I need to tell the SA for my next oil change? My SXL drives good but if there are other settings I'd be interested
Just tell them you want the electronic steering program adjusted because it's "too loose" feeling for you. They'll know what to do. It's not a difficult nor unknown thing for KIA service techs by now. The funny thing is that KIA has put this option in the hands of the driver w/ the new select steering on the 2014s... the Sorento already has it.

Hmmm, maybe David (K5 Store) should come up w/ an add-on module that does this?!?!? :)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Just tell them you want the electronic steering program adjusted because it's "too loose" feeling for you. They'll know what to do. It's not a difficult nor unknown thing for KIA service techs by now. The funny thing is that KIA has put this option in the hands of the driver w/ the new select steering on the 2014s... the Sorento already has it.

Hmmm, maybe David (K5 Store) should come up w/ an add-on module that does this?!?!? :)
Awesome. how noticeable is the change when driving??

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Awesome. how noticeable is the change when driving??
Night and day!!

I used to feel all over the lane at highway speed..kinda like a drunk driver weaving, if you will. Now, the steering feels tight and no weaving, what-s0-ever. It took me 7 months to get this done.... and I wish I had done it 7 months earlier! In fact, it should have come from the dealer's showroom floor that way, IMHO. I think you'll be more than satisfied w/ the change.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Does this apply to Sx's or SXL's? Both? How many settings are there? And what setting did you chose again?
Hey Kid... I don't think there's a difference between the SX and SXL steering programs. I didn't "choose" a setting but the service agent took my "described steering symptoms" and told his techs to change the setting. I think they told me it went from "sport" to "comfort" when they did the change. It doesn't turn as "quick" as it did before, so I guess that's why they call it "sport" in the OEM setting, but I swear it feels more connected now and turns quick enough to feel like a much more enjoyable driving experience.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does this apply to Sx's or SXL's? Both? How many settings are there? And what setting did you chose again?
Applies to both SX/L. Apparently, there are 3 settings: SX Lite, SX Med, SX Max. I went with the 2nd setting and am going to check out the 3rd after a month of this setting.

All you do is tell the service advisor you want to change the steering mode like Nova mentioned.

Took about 3 minutes or so to change.

Will report back on the 3rd setting.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Interesting is this only for SX(L)s?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Is it for all yrs also (2011 - 2013)?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I imagine it's only for the SX and SXL models. Maybe someone with another model can chime in.
Guys,

I found this on a Sonata forum, so maybe it applies to our EX/LXs too. I will try to stop by my dealer on Tuesday to find out.

"If you have a 2011-2013 Sonata Limited or GLS with either power plant you can have the dealer reprogram the steering module for the setting the SE's get which requires more effort from the driver to steer off of center thus eliminating that wondering zig zag feeling when driving. This issue was the main reason we traded in 1 of our 2011 Elantra Limiteds."

Michael

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Guys,

I found this on a Sonata forum, so maybe it applies to our EX/LXs too. I will try to stop by my dealer on Tuesday to find out.

"If you have a 2011-2013 Sonata Limited or GLS with either power plant you can have the dealer reprogram the steering module for the setting the SE's get which requires more effort from the driver to steer off of center thus eliminating that wondering zig zag feeling when driving. This issue was the main reason we traded in 1 of our 2011 Elantra Limiteds."

Michael
Well if anyone finds out before we are due our fist trip to the dealer for service I will for sure ask about it when we go!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Night and day!!

I used to feel all over the lane at highway speed..kinda like a drunk driver weaving, if you will. Now, the steering feels tight and no weaving, what-s0-ever. It took me 7 months to get this done.... and I wish I had done it 7 months earlier! In fact, it should have come from the dealer's showroom floor that way, IMHO. I think you'll be more than satisfied w/ the change.
Yeah I've noticed on the highway that my SXL does wander a little bit. Going to get dealership to change this to another setting or "comfort" setting and I'll report back with how it feels.

1 - 20 of 759 Posts