Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any one else have issue recently with there 2013 optimas steering going all funky and doing what it wants to do? Like it feels like We are driving a sloppy boat. And sometimes when sitting parked the wheel will just jerk one way about quarter turn ad. Come back to center with out even touching it. Now dealer said it needs this computer update or something and say it not covered under any tsb or warranty. Now what I don’t understand is it was like this over summer and we thought it was just loose suspension components and we’re fixing my as she had money to get parts but her engine seized and had to have it replace under a engine recall I’m wondering why didn’t they notice this at test drive the loose steering and program it when they did the engine program and install. So now they wanna charge I do t even know how much for the ecu update and the $180 for diagnoses afte they’ve kept her car for well over week and half

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,181 Posts
It's probably a good idea to have someone figure out if your problem is hardware or software.

maybe there is a broken metal piece somewhere in the mechanics of the steering. You can visually inspect, and do things like grab the front wheel and wiggle it back and forth while the car is parked.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did all that when looking at the coupler issue. But when she talked to dealer shop they said it was ecu programming issue. That’s why I’m asking it’s not like it was th couple or the steering mechanism which what I was thinking it was. But when she showed my the wheel when we was just sitting in driveway she didn’t have her hand in wheel it was centered then after about 4 or 5 min the wheel just melted tit he left about 1/4-1/3 a turn and the after few seconds it went back to center again. And after taking to a couple guys they told me take it in it’s usually one of three things they’ve had issues with

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
173 Posts
Any one else have issue recently with there 2013 optimas steering going all funky and doing what it wants to do? Like it feels like We are driving a sloppy boat. And sometimes when sitting parked the wheel will just jerk one way about quarter turn ad. Come back to center with out even touching it. Now dealer said it needs this computer update or something and say it not covered under any tsb or warranty. Now what I don’t understand is it was like this over summer and we thought it was just loose suspension components and we’re fixing my as she had money to get parts but her engine seized and had to have it replace under a engine recall I’m wondering why didn’t they notice this at test drive the loose steering and program it when they did the engine program and install. So now they wanna charge I do t even know how much for the ecu update and the $180 for diagnoses afte they’ve kept her car for well over week and half

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I seen that post but it’s not so much a drift back and forth you can control it straight down road it more of a sudden jerk and there isn’t any thing in road that would cause it like a bump or dip I road. And the whole just sitting in park in drive with car running and watch the wheel just run on it’s own I mean I watched for it to do it while standing out side of car too a d the wheels actually turn when it does it and no ones even touching steering wheel I didn’t believe her til I saw it

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
173 Posts
I seen that post but it’s not so much a drift back and forth you can control it straight down road it more of a sudden jerk and there isn’t any thing in road that would cause it like a bump or dip I road. And the whole just sitting in park in drive with car running and watch the wheel just run on it’s own I mean I watched for it to do it while standing out side of car too a d the wheels actually turn when it does it and no ones even touching steering wheel I didn’t believe her til I saw it
Sounds like a pump issue but not sure.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
173 Posts
you think that would cause it just suddenly jerk the wheel? I could see when in use moving but when just sitting in park?
With the pump directly onto the steering column i guess i can see that happening. pretty scary stuff. pumps have been on drive belts for 100 years and they decide to do stupid stuff like this so anything could be possible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah spoke to them they said they did the ecu update and it didn’t fix the steering guy said it it made it a little better then sent her home with it. She called me and said it don’t feel any different called and asked since the update didn’t really fix it what is the issue? He went to tell me well she’s have to bring it in and we have to diagnose it again. I was like you said you would figure out everything that needs to be fixed on here at same time it was being diagnosed for steering. They can’t even tell me what else is wrong with the car as far as if anything else needs fixing. So she laid for diagnoses and inspection and got nowhere oh yeah the ecu update wasn’t covered so they charged her $150 for that too. I’m reallly wondering if these techs they hired know anything about the cars

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,181 Posts
There is an electric motor that powers the steering.

If that motor gets the wrong signal, I could see it turning the wheel like you describe.

So, need to figure out why the electric steering motor is getting the wrong signal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And that’s why it’s was in but apparently since they performed a ecu update they assume it’s fixed. Service mngr said he took out for spin and was alittle better.. ok so it’s alittle better but not fixed so you have a reason it’s not fixed I mean she paid almost $175 after fees and taxes for this diagnoses and they can’t tell us anything except come back and we’ll diagnose and see if it’s steering column. Ok so she pays another $175? Isn’t that why we paid you the first time and you had the car over a week and half

·
Registered
89 Posts

If that motor gets the wrong signal, I could see it turning the wheel like you describe.

So, need to figure out why the electric steering motor is getting the wrong signal.
Yes, like maybe a short...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope not tha whole

it doesn’t even feel low you have control of the car. Turning the wheel it feels like it’s not even connected to anything like it free floating. But it does turn wheels

1 - 13 of 13 Posts