Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Optima Optima SX Turbo
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear it's really one thing or another lately! My 2012 Kia Optima SX is out of warranty now just so you can get an idea. Here's my dilemma:

In March we had our front rotors and pads replaced and a few weeks ago we noticed a clicking noise in our steering wheel so we took it to the dealership, they just told us that the rotors were never aligned properly and it was missing the bolt or pin to hold it in place and it's not completely messed the brakes up. They will replace the brakes for free because they messed up but will that make the steering column break?

I have watched videos of steering wheel issues and it sounds exactly like the coupler. The mechanic says the steering column needs to be replaced and it's going to cost close to $1600. Anyone have any issues with this?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
15 Posts
I have the steering wheel issue. I already ordered the little flexible coupler off ebay. Plan to do it myself sometime this week. Shouldnt be too difficult.

·
Registered
2012 Optima Optima SX Turbo
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wasn't a coupler, the steering column joint broke somehow so we had to get the whole thing fixed. The part itself was almost $1,000 :flushed: Just got the car back today and it's running much better but I'm still out of close to $1400.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My steering wheel sticks at times when I’m driving. However, the other day it started sounding like a marble was rolling around in the steering wheel. It did that for a few days then when I turned my wheel to get out of a parking spot it made a popping noise and the marble noise quit. Now it does it off and on. Anyone else have any issues like this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 Kia Sorento & the C-MDPS coupling in the steering column is bad but I only see a Warranty Extension Program for other Kia makes & NOT the Sorento. The Sorento only has a NTS bulletin. How is that fair/correct??

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
I have a 2014 Kia Sorento & the C-MDPS coupling in the steering column is bad but I only see a Warranty Extension Program for other Kia makes & NOT the Sorento. The Sorento only has a NTS bulletin. How is that fair/correct??
Couple of things might be at play - I'm not sure, but it's possible that the program is only for cars that have a bad coupler made of older material that will inevitably fail. Maybe the 2014 Kia Sorento already used an updated material for their coupling, so replacing it is not specifically required, and if it failed, then it's just random chance and unusual, unlike other models covered by the program?

I think a more likely scenario would that (again assuming the 2014 Sorento has the "good" kind of coupling) the shop misdiagnosed your problem, and is just trying random fixes as a profitable way to eventually/accidentally fix your problem. So they'll start with the coupling, then replace your suspension, then replace your entire steering column, then maybe they'll accidentally tighten a bolt here or there that actually fixes what was the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts