Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, I was experiencing an odd issue: Whenever I would turn the steering wheel, there would be a faint "clunk" from the front passenger side of the car, and the steering would stick slightly when driving in a straight line, and then twitching the wheel.

I figured it was the steering column coupler, and had it replaced under warranty, but the noise persisted.

Then I thought it was the steering or front suspension endlinks, but diagnosis showed it wasn't those.

As it turns out, it was the right front shock/strut mount, specifically, the "hat" portion of the strut, and the accompanying bearing race were damaged. The most likely explanation is from a pothole, as I've encountered some fairly nasty ones over the past year or so.

I am grateful the techs recommended just the "hat" and that the shock portion still has some life left in it, as that would have been a far more expensive repair.

Now i can go on my next road trip with piece of mind

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,586 Posts
Could you talk a bit about how the issue was repaired? Did you need a new hat, or just the bearing race, or both, and how are those accessed/fixed?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,107 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts