Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 kia optima ex
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i pull up to the store, shut the car off. Not even 5 min later get into the car and will try to start it but nothing everything else works bit will not start. I jump it and start right up. If I leave it for more than 30 min with trying to jump it, it will start. Anybody know anything

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,811 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

Sorry to hear the issue you're having.

Sounds like you have a dead battery that needs to be replaced.

The batteries for the Optima do not seem to last that long, and with it being a 2015, my bet would be on that.

Get a new battery installed and that will most likely take care of the issue you're having.

Give it a shot and let us know if it fixed the problem.

-David

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,180 Posts
Yeah, with many OEM installed at the factory batteries, odds are they go bad between 3-5 years of age; the OEM battery on my GMC died a month after hitting the 3-year mark.

Also--it may not apply directly here in the OP's case but making sure your vehicle's charging system is up to snuff is important as well; an overcharged battery will have a short life as well, and we know what happens when the charging system consistently doesn't put out enough current to keep the battery topped off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I thought I could jump onto this issue, because I am having the same issue with my 2015 SXL Turbo. It intermittently won't start, on what seems like the coldest days...in the 20's, and at the most inconvenient time(like being the front car on a single lane driveway...with 3-cars behind it that can give it a jump.) The battery is manufactured 8-months ago and installed in June. I had the battery checked, and the alternator/generator, and they are working fine. It starts right up with a jump. I read in another thread that it could be the brake switch...but I think my brakes lights "do" illuminate. Any other thoughts.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,770 Posts
Occassionally batteries go bad quickly, but next time it happens check voltage across the terminals tahd then voltage across cable ends, not the terminals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts