Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made a post earlier about my car not starting and my question was long story short the infamous brake pedal switch or the battery. I ruled out the switch for 3 reasons.
1) The brake lights respond when I press my brakes
2) When I'm on accessory power, I can switch gears depending on if I'm pressing my brakes or not
3) The brake pedal bypass is supposed to work and it doesn't. I get a singular click when doing the bypass and it doesn't start.

Now the singular click alone tells some people the starter immediately but here's the kicker. My headlights are dim. Like SUPER dim. Like I might as well almost not have them on at all while driving or when I'm in park. My front left blinker bulb DOES NOT WORK when the low beam headlights are on but the high beams work very well. I parked in front of a store one day and notice the bulb was out. I replaced it and it still didn't work. It wasn't until my fiancée one day pointed out the bulb was working all of the sudden as she got in the car that I did some messing around and if the low beams are on at all my front left blinker just flat doesn't work . As far as the super dim low beams themselves go I figure there isn't enough power from the battery but when the car is on they should be pulling from the alternator instead. Now I did a voltage test and the voltage on the battery while the car is off (as I cant start it) and it reads 12.36V. But my thing is volts don't start a car CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) do. Something electrically is going on with this thing so Im confused on WHAT is going on, and how do I get this thing to start on the assumption it isn't in fact the starter. I feel like im experiencing a parasitic draw somewhere but I dont even really know how to diagnose this or find out where its happening at.

·
Registered
52 Posts
12.36 is too low a voltage. Minimum 'good' voltage is about 12.7

A 'very good' battery hits 13.3-13.6

You most likely need another battery, Luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts