Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s happened to me a few times after overfilling with fuel. Has anyone else experienced this on their 2011 optima SX? Gas pump clicks and stops and you try to put about another dollar worth of fuel and when you’re driving it after that it seems to want stall like if it’s flooding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
209 Posts
It’s happened to me a few times after overfilling with fuel. Has anyone else experienced this on their 2011 optima SX? Gas pump clicks and stops and you try to put about another dollar worth of fuel and when you’re driving it after that it seems to want stall like if it’s flooding.

Hey Doctor it hurts when I do this. Doctor says well don't do that.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 193K with Drag wheels.
389 Posts
...Gas pump clicks and stops and you try to put about another dollar worth of fuel...
Another Dollar?! Wow.

Like GFs 330ci, my '13 opti won't take another Nickel, literally, even if I try several times, it won't add up to 15 cents in a dozen trys. But No, to answer your question, never a problem for the obvious reason.

Now my 4runner, I can add 1 Whole Gallon+ and it doesn't mind it one bit, go Toyota!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
By doing what the OP said I believe that will mess with the overflow/evap canister/pollution controls. Bad habit.
Got it, thanks for the theory. I like to round to the nearest dollar and I’ve had different makes but this is the only car that has done this and was curious to know if any other Optima SX owner experienced this also. It stops after 5 miles of driving like when the fuel level gets a bit lower. Thanks again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Another Dollar?! Wow.

Like GFs 330ci, my '13 opti won't take another Nickel, literally, even if I try several times, it won't add up to 15 cents in a dozen trys. But No, to answer your question, never a problem for the obvious reason.

Now my 4runner, I can add 1 Whole Gallon+ and it doesn't mind it one bit, go Toyota!
Clicks and stops once, I then round to the next dollar. I’m not forcing it with 5 cent clicks till I get there. And I’ve only had to add at most .75 cents a few times then it happens.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,154 Posts
LOL a dollar here in CA gets you less than a quarter-gallon of gas...and if pumping premium, then as low as a fifth of a gallon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
LOL a dollar here in CA gets you less than a quarter-gallon of gas...and if pumping premium, then as low as a fifth of a gallon.
Could the vapor canister be flooded? Instead of sucking gasoline fumes, maybe raw fuel is entering the intake manifold, putting the engine into a rich stall. Don't overfill. Eventually the CEL will come on indicating a rich condition.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I can't remember where I heard this, but I was told several years ago that you can actually do damage to your engine if you attempt to fill it beyond the auto shutoff point of the gas pump. I always just stop at that point, it's not worth taking the chance when it only gets me about another 20 to 30 miles down the road. Just sayin...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used to work for an automobile manufacturer responsible for canister/evap systems. If you overfill your tank it backs up into the evap canister. If you saturate the carbon you are likely to be in need of a new canister. Not worth the risk to get a nice number on the pump.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't remember where I heard this, but I was told several years ago that you can actually do damage to your engine if you attempt to fill it beyond the auto shutoff point of the gas pump. I always just stop at that point, it's not worth taking the chance when it only gets me about another 20 to 30 miles down the road. Just sayin...
Thanks for sharing James.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,154 Posts
Could the vapor canister be flooded? Instead of sucking gasoline fumes, maybe raw fuel is entering the intake manifold, putting the engine into a rich stall. Don't overfill. Eventually the CEL will come on indicating a rich condition.
LOL I think you meant to reply to the other person, as I'm not having the issues described in this thread.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX
519 Posts
Yes, this used to happen to me all the time. I also have 2011 SX
The issue is that if you stop when it first click, then the fuel gauge shows you don't have a full tank. There's one square short.
But I've come to learn that after driving for a while, it eventually catches up and all squares are full.

Definitely get that stalling thing though if you over fill. I had always thought it was bad gas.
Glad I stopped doing it though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts