Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I have a question about the KIA Optima 2011 EX that I'm driving.

I was driving the car about two months ago, when I noticed a strange sound that something is rubbing against the road while I was driving. It turns out that the front wheel deflector got lose. It was held together with zip ties, which was done by the previous owner. I therefore assume the part was already somewhat lose and damaged. I therefore proceeded to completely remove the piece, as it felt very cheap and I deemed it as not something necessary (It was a quick fix).

Yesterday while driving, I stupidly managed to drive over a pothole. Right away I noticed some sound coming from the car. Then all of a sudden, I notice something come off from the front of the car's undercarriage and flew off to the side of the road. I stopped the car in a safe spot and went back to retrieve the piece. Quite a big part fell off and was damaged, accompanied by smaller wrecked pieces. I did some research and I figure it is most likely the engine's splash guard or the skid plate. I looked for the part online, but not sure if it is the correct part or that I'm even right in assuming that it is indeed the splash guard that is now broken.

The car drives normally.

Can anyone please confirm based on the picture I'm attaching that it is indeed the splash guard? Can it possibly be something else? Additionally, how important it is for the car to have this part reinstalled? Can I drive without it?

For the pictures, the small triangular part (named "deflector fr wheel") is the piece that I removed about two months ago that was rubbing while driving. The larger piece, which is about 30 inches in lentgth, is the part that broke yesterday. The last picture is of a replacement part shield part I found online. Doesn't seem to resemble the piece that is broken on my car..

Thank you.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
22 Posts
Hi,
I have a question about the KIA Optima 2011 EX that I'm driving.

I was driving the car about two months ago, when I noticed a strange sound that something is rubbing against the road while I was driving. It turns out that the front wheel deflector got lose. It was held together with zip ties, which was done by the previous owner. I therefore assume the part was already somewhat lose and damaged. I therefore proceeded to completely remove the piece, as it felt very cheap and I deemed it as not something necessary (It was a quick fix).

Yesterday while driving, I stupidly managed to drive over a pothole. Right away I noticed some sound coming from the car. Then all of a sudden, I notice something come off from the front of the car's undercarriage and flew off to the side of the road. I stopped the car in a safe spot and went back to retrieve the piece. Quite a big part fell off and was damaged, accompanied by smaller wrecked pieces. I did some research and I figure it is most likely the engine's splash guard or the skid plate. I looked for the part online, but not sure if it is the correct part or that I'm even right in assuming that it is indeed the splash guard that is now broken.

The car drives normally.

Can anyone please confirm based on the picture I'm attaching that it is indeed the splash guard? Can it possibly be something else? Additionally, how important it is for the car to have this part reinstalled? Can I drive without it?

For the pictures, the small triangular part (named "deflector fr wheel") is the piece that I removed about two months ago that was rubbing while driving. The larger piece, which is about 30 inches in lentgth, is the part that broke yesterday. The last picture is of a replacement part shield part I found online. Doesn't seem to resemble the piece that is broken on my car..

Thank you.
View attachment 248328

View attachment 248329

View attachment 248330
The triangle piece is attached to the wheel liner, it's right in front of the wheel by the bumper
The second piece idk off the top of my head
Third is the front piece for the skid plate which covers the very front of the bumper.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
537 Posts
The second piece, I believe, is useless. I had the same thing come off once while driving down a snow/ice alley and my car was low. I told the dealer about it and it's something to do with air flow at high speeds or some ****. It's been gone for years and I've noticed no issues.

EDIT: Actually, I may be wrong. Think that is part of your stock lip. 86817D4000 - Genuine Kia DEFLECTOR-FRONT WHEEL,L

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The triangle piece is attached to the wheel liner, it's right in front of the wheel by the bumper
The second piece idk off the top of my head
Third is the front piece for the skid plate which covers the very front of the bumper.
The second piece, I believe, is useless. I had the same thing come off once while driving down a snow/ice alley and my car was low. I told the dealer about it and it's something to do with air flow at high speeds or some ****. It's been gone for years and I've noticed no issues.

EDIT: Actually, I may be wrong. Think that is part of your stock lip. 86817D4000 - Genuine Kia DEFLECTOR-FRONT WHEEL,L

Thank for the reply.
When I was googling for replacement parts for the Optima 2011 that resemble the part that seems to be broken, the third picture is the only part that I found.
Do you guys have any idea about the importance of having those parts installed? Can it be said with certainty that the large chunk that fell off is the splash guard/skid plate?
If that is the case, I presume it is not 100% necessary to find a replacement part and have it reinstalled, right?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
425 Posts
It may be part of the fender cowl.

In any case, replace all damaged components, and ensure all parts are where they're supposed to be.

You may not need them, but you'll definitely see improvements in things like road/wind noise when you have them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the subsequent replies.
Not really 100% sure what it is, and if it is the splash shield, as the replacement splash shield from the third picture I posted looks smaller in width then the part that fell from my car.
I guess I will get it checked next time I'm doing an oil change, the mechanic would know..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took another picture today.
What I noticed that was odd about the big part that fell off is that it has a spongy layer on top. Can't figure it out what is it from, I now begin doubt it is actually the splash guard...
kia part.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
944 Posts
Yeah I can't seem to find a site that actually diagrams that big piece which based on its size has to be an underbody splash guard that goes underneath immediately aft of the front bumper (i.e., right underneath the radiator) or a bit further back underneath the engine. Granted mine is a 2018 but the underbody splash guard covering the bottom of the engine bay consists of two somehwhat-large pieces, one piece just aft of the front bumper, the other right behind the first piece.

Ok I gotta ask--is there anyway you can take a picture underneath the front of the vehicle so that it may be easier to determine what/where exactly that big piece came from?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I can't seem to find a site that actually diagrams that big piece which based on its size has to be an underbody splash guard that goes underneath immediately aft of the front bumper (i.e., right underneath the radiator) or a bit further back underneath the engine. Granted mine is a 2018 but the underbody splash guard covering the bottom of the engine bay consists of two somehwhat-large pieces, one piece just aft of the front bumper, the other right behind the first piece.

Ok I gotta ask--is there anyway you can take a picture underneath the front of the vehicle so that it may be easier to determine what/where exactly that big piece came from?
Thanks for replying.
I tried to look under the car to figure out myself. I will go see a mechanic in the next few weeks to diagnose the issue. I have showed him a picture today and he told me that based on the picture it look slike its the engine cover that tends to fall off often. He will need to look under the car to confirm.
Will post here after..

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
944 Posts
Hopefully the mystery as to what that piece is and where exactly does it go will finally be solved; IMHO it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out once someone takes a look underneath, as that piece is a fairly large one.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,486 Posts
There are actually 3 pieces which make up the undercarriage protection plates. They are useful not only for airflow but keep elements off the underside of the engine. And yes, one of the two main pieces as a spongy strip on it. If you look at an exploded diagram on any of the kia parts sires, you'll see how they all go together. The problem is mechanics dont always put them back very well or Ive seen screws back themselves out after a while and the parts become busted or fall off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really value the responses.
So you guys think that if I buy this replacment part, it would fix the problem? It is so cheap, I'm not going to think twice about getting it. My only concern is that the part that fell off from the car looks slightly larger than the under cover replacement part. Of course, I also might be mistaken. Ideally, that replacement part would be all that is required..

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
42 Posts
I am stumped on why your under splash shield would look like that. Did a pretty intense search to find one similar to your pic and all I could find was one for the 11-13 Kia Sorento, first pic.

The second pic is from under my car which matches close to what shows for the 2011.

I think like tonester said, need a pic of under your car front. Maybe someone just tacked on whatever shield they could find and no wonder it came off on a pothole hit.

And in regards to if you should or should not use them. 100% yes you should.

Last pic is the whole of the small side part, part of inner fender. About $80 on bay, search that P/N 86817-2T000

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am stumped on why your under splash shield would look like that. Did a pretty intense search to find one similar to your pic and all I could find was one for the 11-13 Kia Sorento, first pic.

The second pic is from under my car which matches exactly what shows for the 2011.

I think like tonester said, need a pic of under your car front. Maybe someone just tacked on whatever shield they could find and no wonder it came off on a pothole hit. : D

And in regards to if you should or should not use them. 100% yes you should.

Last pic is the whole of the small side part, part of inner fender. About $80 on bay, search that P/N 86817-2T000
Really appreciate the reply and the pics.
Come to think of it, it is possible that it is not a part from my car.
When I was driving, I had to go back to retrace the area of the road (underpass) where the piece flew off. There was a plastic piece lying on the median and I automatically assumed it was from my car. Maybe it is a different splash guard from another vehicle, who knows.. Those parts are known to break off based on the research I've done. I was buffled too since the part is bigger and doesn't resemble the original KIA engine under cover.
I will definitely go and inspect it soon. Will post here after.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
944 Posts
LOL now there's a possibility! Who knows--in the end you might very well need that piece shown in post #13 and 14 but again, only way to tell for sure is to see what the front underside of your car currently looks like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts