Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I cannot seem to find this information anywhere...

From what I have found so far, it seems the infinity stereo systems of the SX and SXL models use 4 ohm speakers.

I have the 2013 LX, with the base stereo, and the drivers of the speakers were miniscule. I am assuming they were 2 ohm, or maybe even 1 ohm, as I have upgraded to 2 ohm front speakers, and 3 ohm tweeters, which due to the way the front speakers are wired, leaves them with a combined Impedance of 1.22 ohms per channel. I've had them set up this way for a couple years now with no issues...

I have had to change my 2 ohm rear speakers to 4 ohm, as I am adding a 2 ohm DVC subwoofer, using it a a low pass speaker, to fill in the bass ranges.

This gives the rear speakers a combined Impedance of 1.3 ohms per channel.

I have not completed this setup, and just want to know what the stock values for these speakers were, before I accidentally fry my head unit...

·
Registered
36 Posts
It doesn't matter what the stock values are. You can put any speaker in that you want. Having a lower impedance on the speaker will allow the speaker to receive more power. Running speakers at 1 ohm is not recommended because they reach their deathbed faster. It is impossible to fry your head unit from your speakers because all your head unit is doing is sending signal to the speakers.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't matter what the stock values are. You can put any speaker in that you want. Having a lower impedance on the speaker will allow the speaker to receive more power. Running speakers at 1 ohm is not recommended because they reach their deathbed faster. It is impossible to fry your head unit from your speakers because all your head unit is doing is sending signal to the speakers.
Maybe its different with car vs home audio, but every other article I've read seems to indicate I'll fry my amplifier if I use speakers with too low an impedance... Not that the speakers with low impedance will die faster. But, I'm not an audio expert, so I need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
36 Posts
With an amplifier, it is the same. All an amplifier does is take the signal from the radio, boost the signal, and deliver it to the speakers. Speakers only take a input and does not output anything, therefore it cannot affect the amplifier. For example, if you bought this amp, you can see the specs it says it will be able to deliver 100w rms per channel at 4ohms, or it can deliver 150w rms per channel at 2 ohms. What this means is that if the speakers in your door are 4ohm speakers, then each speaker will receive 100w of power from the amplifier. If your door speakers are 2ohms, then each speaker will receive 150w from the amplifier. The impedance of the speaker only matter if you're trying to give it more or less power.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much for that info. I was able to use the impedance calculator on that site to get a good idea of the power split for various speaker values as well....

What I ended up doing was going with 4 Ohms in the rear doors, and a 4 Ohm DVC subwoofer. They are wired in parallel for 2 Ohms Impedance per channel in the rear, and a 50/50 power split, and it is working out well so far. I also moved my old rear speakers forward, and the total impedance up front is about 1.2 Ohms per channel, with a 60/40 split, biased to the door speakers. I ended up biasing the total sound +50% rearward, as this gave the best sound balance, and since I'm using the Aux input, and the aux source is at max volume, I barely go past 50% on the head unit. Seems this may work well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts