Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  1. I have a 2013 Kia Optima SxL, which spark plugs would be better? I live in the Midwest so winter is very harsh, I'm not sure if that plays into anything. I was looking online and saw NGK 1422 and HKS M45XL. Which one would be better, or is there something else I should get instead. I do not have a tune and do not plan on getting one.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Stick with NGK1422 as you have no intentions of using a tune and you’ll be fine, HKS plugs are intended for using a tune if I’m not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stick with NGK1422 as you have no intentions of using a tune and you’ll be fine, HKS plugs are intended for using a tune if I’m not mistaken.

Ok thanks! Also what tunes are there and what do they do? Is there any benefit or more so cons?

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Ok thanks! Also what tunes are there and what do they do? Is there any benefit or more so cons?
You can check out Lap 3 uncle chip that K5OS sells which will increase your HP depending which option you pick, everyone goes for the 91/93 octane fuel which increases about 50 hp.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,456 Posts
FWIW: I used to run the HKS M45XL plugs with my mods and ECU tune but with my setup it will eventually carbon fouls the plugs around 5-6K miles due to them NOT getting hot enough to burn off the crap. I purchased one heat range hotter from David at K5Optimastore, the HKS M40XL plugs (still gapped at 0.028") and these have been great. Highly recommended.
Carbon fouling will result in harder starts, rough idle and other issues eventually.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,737 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts