Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some NGK ILKR8R6 plugs and trying to find the correct gap. After Googling, I've read .44 then .28 and when I check my new plugs they're pre-gapped at .23. Haven't been able to pull my old plugs to check them, so I'm checking with you guys first.

What is the correct gap?

Thanks all!

Bill

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,906 Posts
Just check the number again as that plug number doesn't come up on the NGK site. The factory plugs are NGK:
Hyundai/Kia number 18849-09075 or NGK SILZKR7E9G.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,906 Posts
That E6 makes a difference. That plug is actually for a Mitsubishi Lancer '08-'10, but some use it to replace the OEM plugs on the Turbo cars, but I'm not going to get into that debate or view my thoughts.
Maybe one of the guys will indicate what the gap should be as the Lancer is .024, but I wouldn't gap the Optima at that.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,442 Posts
If you bought them from us, 100% rest assured they are the correct spark plugs if you have a 2011-2020 Kia Optima 2.0T model.

The part number NGK 1422 is relabeled under a different manufacturer part number and privately made by NGK for Kia Motor Corporation.

Many times people get confused about this, but this is Kia's way of buying the same plugs and marking up the price exponentially without the customer being able to dispute the costs.

We always recommend the gap on these plugs to be set to 0.028.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,906 Posts
The part number NGK 1422 is relabeled under a different manufacturer part number and privately made by NGK for Kia Motor Corporation.

Many times people get confused about this, but this is Kia's way of buying the same plugs and marking up the price exponentially without the customer being able to dispute the costs.

We always recommend the gap on these plugs to be set to 0.028.
You're stating that the 1422 are the exact same oem plugs that NGK supplies for the 2.0T?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,442 Posts
You're stating that the 1422 are the exact same oem plugs that NGK supplies for the 2.0T?
Not interested in debating this, as I have done that with many members over the years here in this very forum regarding this very topic.

The spark plugs used by Kia at one point (possibly still now) were/are the EXACT same as the NGK 1422 spark plugs, just privately labeled under a different part number.

This is done many times by big manufacturers in order to sell them at a premium over what can be found online elsewhere ordered outside of the dealership.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. This exact topic came up in this forum years ago, and members were calling NGK to confirm or deny this.

However, as I mentioned, they do not show the NGK 1422 spark plug ever being used on a 2.0T Kia Optima, since they are listed as a different part number with the manufacturer.

I respect your opinion, but don't have the interest or time to debate back and forth what I know to be factual. If you disagree, we can respectfully agree to disagree with each other.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,906 Posts
I'm not going to debate the subject either, but what you are saying is that the ILKR8E6 is the same as the SILZKR7E9G? Heat range is different as is the gap requirement.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,442 Posts
I'm going to debate the subject either, but what you are saying is that the ILKR8E6 is the same as the SILZKR7E9G? Heat range is different as is the gap requirement.
I did not mention the OE part number, as that has changed, along with the specs over the years.

However, yes, the ones we sell have a different heat range and gap spec, & based on over 6 years of selling these to 2.0T owners with no issues, we are confident we are doing it right.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,442 Posts
Thanks all!
I just ended up getting these from Oreilly

View attachment 247762
Why didn't you install the NGK 1422 plugs you had already bought? Hopefully the posts above didn't make you think they wouldn't work properly.

That would really suck if you came to the forum just to figure out the correct gap for the plugs, and another member made you in fear that the plugs you had already bought would not work properly.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
301 Posts
1422's are awesome plugs. Have been running them for about 5k so far in my 2016 SX. Smooth as butter idle.

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why didn't you install the NGK 1422 plugs you had already bought? Hopefully the posts above didn't make you think they wouldn't work properly.

That would really suck if you came to the forum just to figure out the correct gap for the plugs, and another member made you in fear that the plugs you had already bought would not work properly.
Ironically, I had already returned them by the time I got your reply!! So by the time you replied, I had already bought and installed the Champions. They are doing fine. If I notice any weird stuff, I will replace them with the NGKs. Thanks for your time!!

Bill

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
129 Posts
1422's are awesome plugs. Have been running them for about 5k so far in my 2016 SX. Smooth as butter idle.
Hey, 2 questions. Did you have to regap them? And at how many miles did you change them? Thx.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,442 Posts
Ironically, I had already returned them by the time I got your reply!! So by the time you replied, I had already bought and installed the Champions. They are doing fine. If I notice any weird stuff, I will replace them with the NGKs. Thanks for your time!!

Bill
All good Bill, you’re welcome.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts