Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
This was one of my peeve's about this car! Yes, I understand that more and more car manufacturers are trying to cut costs by eliminating the spare tire, but by not even providing a donut spare is a crock of BS in my opinion. I complained to both Kia Motors and to the dealer after I found out too late about the non spare tire issue. (the dealer never showed me the insides of the trunk at delivery). For those who don't mind the tire puncture kit of goop Kia provides you just beware it can ruin your TPS sensors, and if it does get ready to shell out $150 + labor to replace the TPS sensor. Also, when you take the car to have the tire replaced or patched don't forget to let the person know who dis-mounts the tire about the goop that was pumped into the tire to seal the puncture, and is in the tire rolling around. This goop stuff will leak out when the tire is broken down from the wheel, and the mechanic will get it all over their hands. One more point, if the sidewall blows out, that can of goop won't be of much good to you so get ready to call Kia's Road Service 800 number to request a tow to have your tire replaced at a tire shop. I myself prefer to have peace-of-mind so I was lucky to find a donut spare and jack kit at a salvage yard for ~$100 removed from a wrecked Optima. BTW, this is a lot cheaper than what the dealers are currently offering for a spare tire kit @ ~$188 that they started selling in late January after Kia received so many complaints on this subject matter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Let's say one was to call for Kia's road side service is the tire cost covered since they don't provide one...? or does this just get you a tow?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Let's say one was to call for Kia's road side service is the tire cost covered since they don't provide one...? or does this just get you a tow?
You only get the tow through Kia's roadside service, and you get towed to the closest dealer or tire store. If the tire is blown out you have to fork out the bucks for a new tire. That's why I was pissed about this policy. Click on this story link and see what happened to this unfortunate lady: Kia Dealership - KIA Optima 2012, no spare tire. On freeway 3.5 waiting for help

Yep, I believe all the SX model's come with a spare it's the EX model's that didn't come with one but rather their air pump and a canister of goop which is unfair!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read in a post somewhere here in the forums that the 16" spare from an early 2000 Dodge Intrepid would fit. I paid 35 for one at the junk yard and it fits my 2013 Optima Hybrid perfectly. Fits in the spare tire hole also. Very happy since buying one aftermarket to fit is allot more expensive. P.S. Its true about the Kia free tow. I waited 1 1/2 hours for a tow and then paid $125 for a new tire, mine was cut on the sidewall.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought mine off Amazon. It is expensive, but it does come with the tire, jack, tools, and insert for the trunk. It even comes with a new door sticker that shows a spare and the proper PSI for all tires.
I feel much more comfortable having a spare rather than a repair kit. $200 is a lot for a spare, I kept it in my wishlist for several months and then it hit $150 one day and I bought it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
12 Participants
scionicboom
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing