Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2019 Kia Optima came without a spare tire. In its place was a foam insert with a can of fix-a-flat.
I removed the foam and purchased a spare tire. I now have the foam that I do not need.
Anyone need the foam?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,024 Posts
Well a can of sealant does weigh less than a spare tire, and it also requires less storage space as well. ;)

After all, it's all about maximizing profits and whatnot--have you noticed that some orange juice suppliers have started going away from selling OJ in half-gallon cartons? I just noticed that my Florida's Natural OJ half-gallon carton is now actually a 50-something ounce carton...price is still the same though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The manufacturers save about $100 per car when not including a spare tire. Multiply that by one million cars sold, and they then save 100 million dollars. Good for them, not for us.
Almost all companies use the Marketing strategy of shrinking their containers and charge the old price. When I was a kid, candy bars were huge and cost a nickle.
But, back in the good old days we worked for one dollar an hour. When I retired in 2001 I was making $60 per hour. Now I would be making $100 per hour or more doing the same job. My first used car cost me $25. McDonald hamburgers were 19 cents. This was at the first ever McDonalds in California in a town named San Bernardino, about 60 miles east of Los Angeles. I just bought a quarter pounder today at McDonalds for $5.29

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
503 Posts
Has anyone successfully used a Flat Repair can?
Years ago I made an interstate coffee stop, noticed a leaking tire, and bought/loaded a Repair can, and made it home.
Next day when I first got up to speed there was a horrible knocking in the front wheel, so loud I pulled over thinking the wheel was coming off the car.
Goodyear spent 30 min chiseling the hardened Foam from the tire and I guess there was an awful Tire-Balancing act with the hardened foam that made the noise.
I will NEVER use a can again - Although technology may have improved since then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts