Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering converting my 2011 Kia optima’s standard radio over to the factory system with gps. So far my inquiries seem to indicate some required changes to the climate controls which is fine but I also noticed that there is additional hook ups to the new system one being a gps antenna but not sure if there are additional connections I’m missing and is it reasonably possible to use an after market gps antenna rather than rewiring a Kia gps antenna. Looking to keep modifications to the dash area if possible and keep all functions of the conversion working as if factory installed. Any guidance is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
350 Posts
IMO factory gps/nav is not very good looking, its like staring at Windows 95 to me.

If in your shoes, I would either live with existing stereo or replace and use a phone gps which will have a much more modern user interface with regular updates. Just a thought....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love the simplicity of the factory system (even if it looks dated) but I suspect you'll be better off buying aftermarket if you want to upgrade. You'll need to buy the climate control switchgear too since the factory set up also has nav control built into the switchgear, and I assume your car will already have to have the dual zone climate control too your new switchgear to work. If your car doesn't have a back up camera then you'll want to account for that too if you want it.

If I were in the market (which I sort of am since my wife hates the factory system), then I'd consider getting an aftermarket unit that uses Car Play/Android Auto (you can get units that don't include navigation so you'd use your phone instead to handle that and mirror to your unit) and then you can buy a separate decoder that will retain steering wheel controls. There are double din kits that will go into your dash and give a factory-like appearance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts