Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding the front end of my car (raccoon collision), and I'm thinking if I line my wheel cowls with dynamat, that should cut down on road noise...

Is this a viable plan?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,529 Posts
Thought I'd reply, wouldn't use Dynamat on exterior because of water penetration, possibly sound deadening spray.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima 1.6T LX
12 Posts
I have thought about something similar, not sure it would work. I wonder if you could get the wheel wells sprayed with Rhino Liner or Linex truck bed liner? I guess they sell that stuff in cans as well at auto parts stores. From what I remember, Rhino was the softer material, might do a better job at sound deadening?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,693 Posts
I know I've seen the black spray inside wheel wells before, surely there is a commercial product made specifically for this?

If so, maybe there is a version that can be applied by DIYers at home. Probably just need to have a prep procedure first, to ensure that the coating will adhere properly.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used Noico sound deadening mats. It's a lot like Dynamat, but I placed it on the outside of the liner.

When you install the new liner, it is inside the fender well and engine bay, not exposed to the outside, or the wheel.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,693 Posts
I used Noico sound deadening mats. It's a lot like Dynamat, but I placed it on the outside of the liner.

When you install the new liner, it is inside the fender well and engine bay, not exposed to the outside, or the wheel.
Oh nice, how was the process in removing the liners to get access to the back of the liners?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh nice, how was the process in removing the liners to get access to the back of the liners?
Not too difficult. I have one of those forks for pulling trim clips loose, and aside from one screw in the front (Which also holds the bumper on), and the 4 screws that also hold the mudguard on, there are only 5 of those holding the liner to the body and bumper. All in all, you can pull one in maybe 10 minutes if the wheel is already off. And you REALLY want to take the wheels off before doing this.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,772 Posts
I second the use of the sound deadening spray, I have seen a thick black spray used that looks similar to truck bed liner, and have heard positive results from it, I don't remember the brand though. :unsure:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts