Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got home a few hours ago and stepped out of the car to get something out of the garage (with the engine running) and when I walked around I noticed white smoke coming from the passenger side of the hood (it was a bunch of smoke) and I immediately shut the engine off and looked under the hood to make sure the darn thing wasn't on fire and I smelled something that smelled like burning rubber (I wasn't the only one who smelled this) and you could smell it from the interior of the car as well. Does anybody have any idea what it could be? I can't take it to the dealer because they are closed. It just sucks that we are now having issues with the car. I thought that maybe it could be the wiring for the passenger headlight (it failed AGAIN) that was smoking but I don't really know if that is the culprit or not. Safe to say the car isn't getting garage space tonight and is parked towards the end of our driveway just in case it randomly decides to engulf itself for no reason (hopefully it won't because it's parked behind my LEASED Accord and I don't have time or patience for that). Just wondering if anyone has any idea what it could be while the dealer is closed.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Look under the car for any evidence of leakage, then with the engine cold, check coolant level in overflow bottle & radiator, then check the engine oil level. Take a close look at the serpentine belt for any indication of separation, and also shine a bright light on all the pulleys to see if any residue is on any indicating a slipping belt due to a pulley that locked up, etc.

If everything up to snuff, start the car with the hood opened to see if anything appears, then check all systems, turn lights on and make certain all lights come on, turn a/c to max, and after shutting engine off, check the belt again to see if hot.

·
Registered
2015 SX-T SWP, 2012 EX, Spicy Red
73 Posts
Got home a few hours ago and stepped out of the car to get something out of the garage (with the engine running) and when I walked around I noticed white smoke coming from the passenger side of the hood (it was a bunch of smoke) and I immediately shut the engine off and looked under the hood to make sure the darn thing wasn't on fire and I smelled something that smelled like burning rubber (I wasn't the only one who smelled this) and you could smell it from the interior of the car as well. Does anybody have any idea what it could be? I can't take it to the dealer because they are closed. It just sucks that we are now having issues with the car. I thought that maybe it could be the wiring for the passenger headlight (it failed AGAIN) that was smoking but I don't really know if that is the culprit or not. Safe to say the car isn't getting garage space tonight and is parked towards the end of our driveway just in case it randomly decides to engulf itself for no reason (hopefully it won't because it's parked behind my LEASED Accord and I don't have time or patience for that). Just wondering if anyone has any idea what it could be while the dealer is closed.
"Randomly decides to engulf itself"
Priceless!!!

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,486 Posts
To some I bet they would hope it randomly engulfs itself in flames! LOL. Use Turbonut recommendation and post up what you find. Also check wiring harnesses and hoses very closely.

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
54 Posts
I agree with Turbonut. Burning rubber smell and right side of engine bay has drive belt issue written all over it. Might be the AC compressor froze up and then the belt was dragging over the pulley and heating and smoking. Try with AC on and off.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To some I bet they would hope it randomly engulfs itself in flames! LOL. Use Turbonut recommendation and post up what you find. Also check wiring harnesses and hoses very closely.
Honestly, the last thing I want is for it to catch fire....we don't hate the car at all it just has its fair share of issues that are annoying. It’s going to our indy mechanic tomorrow for an oil change and some other things so they are checking it out then. I've traced it down the burning smell to the A/C being on so whatever needs to be replaced will be replaced tomorrow.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Let us know the problem/fix, and just an FYI, the A/C compressor is a VDC and runs all the time. If the compressor were to freeze, it does have breakable tabs that allow the belt to keep turning on just the A./C pulley.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts