Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo....a coworker was driving in front of me one morning going g to work. When he turned right , after a stop sign, he started to accelerate somehow saying "let's see what your Kia can do". Well...I was happy to oblige. At this point he was already 5 cars ahead of my and I was in 2nd gear. I floored it and the gap started to get smaller and by 3rd i really caught up to him and was passing him. But by then we had to slow down since we had to turn in to our work's parking lot. Needless to say, i can smoke him of a rolling start. Off the line....remains to be seen. Proud of my sxt.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,515 Posts
Not to give a negative reply, but the 2019 standard WRX is only 268HP stock, not much HP to brag about when a Focus RS was produced with 350HP, or maybe move up to a STI (305HP) or the S209 with 341HP.
At least you're having fun with the car.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well since this thread was started, I've successful runs with modded wrx, golf R, mustangs and Camaro of recent years. Either kept up or Gapped them. All rolling starts or highway speeds. The ultimate sleeper optima.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol. No time to hold the phone at those speeds. I don't have a dash cam either.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,515 Posts
Elaborate?
Well, I replied with a response that really wasn't relevant, but as you asked, my opinion that taking a modified car and running against "stock" vehicles is a waste of time and only rewarding to the modified driver. A modified WRX?? A friend of my son has one 380 WHP, the Golf R is only 292HP, and I'm sure the Mustang wasn't the 460HP GT, or the Camaro wasn't a ZL1 650HP.

It's just me, but at least you're having fun.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah.... Wrx wasn't 380whp. Golf R ? Not sure but we both hit high speeds quickly... He had exhaust as far as I know. Maybe more? Who knows. Golf R is quicker than the optima stock VS stock hence why I was excited. As for Camaro, definitely not 650hp.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,515 Posts
Hey, even now after all these years it's hard staying out of the throttle, but with 274 under the hood, quite a big difference when 500+ was available a looooong time ago.

As I said before, have fun while you can.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,690 Posts
The new K5 has a 2.5T turbo engine, so it will be even faster than the older 2.0T Optima

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,515 Posts
The 2.5 Turbo is reported to have 290HP, only 16HP more than the '11-'15,
and depending on the weight, especially with a 4WD system, faster/slower?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
972 Posts
Yes but the torque number is what really stands out on the 2.5T--none of the previous-gen Optima engines could claim anywhere near 311 lb-ft. torque (stock). People can talk all they want about HP but it's torque that helps quickly you pull away from a stoplight or pass another vehicle in a blink of an eye.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts