Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always wanted the trunk door to open all the way up. i know most of you do, too.
gas shock installation is one option,

but i really didnt like the idea of drilling holes anywhere...
besides, it was too confusing to figure out which lbs. weight my optima was required.(some of us have spoilers, some dont)

so, i ordered these:

these are heavy tension springs that are adjustable in lengths. shipping took almost a month from china....
but guess what?? THESE DONT WORK!!! (not for me, at least....)
after about an hour of wrestling with these springs inside the trunk, sweating my a** off and about 15 mosquito bites... i gave up :mad:

after trial and errors, i was able to figure out that a simple bungee cord was all i needed.
i picked up 2 of these (i actually used only one for my result) which were $2 and change EACH from H.Depot:

and ran it like this:

the basic idea is to have the black "rod" and the "hinge(?)" parts to be pulled toward the rear.
so i guess it can be done with 2 short bungees on each sides. but having it go across like how i did make it tension adjustable! :thumbsup:
it literally took me 3 minutes to figure out and install this one.
UPDATE!: step by step video uploaded.

UPDATE!: exact brand I used in this mod.

(its less than $2 now :shocked: )

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,215 Posts
How freakin cool is that!! I honestly have to give you mad credit for coming up with this really simple idea. Honestly the mods should sticky this thread as one of the easiest mods out there. (Cheapest too)

:thumbsup: for you work!

Thank you!

·
09/2013 ROTM, 06/2014 ROTM
2013 Optima LX
2,835 Posts
This is pretty cool man!! Im trying to figure out the install pics but dont really get where everything should be put, more pics would be grrrreat! :thumbsup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i knew you guys would dig this!!:cool:

Yes, i bought 2 bungee cords thinking i needed one on each sides. but ONE 48" was just PERFECT!

And yes it makes it harder to close the trunk, but only by a tiny bit. i can still close it with my pinky.
(those adjustable metal springs were about 10 times as harder to close. i would imagine gas shock springs are just as harder) Again, the awesomest part is that tension is adjustable by pulling or stretching the middle part of the bungee, giving less stress to the door and its mechanisms.

Hook one end of bungee cord in an opening

go around the black rod one time

and go straight over to the other side (passenger)

Pretty much the same on this side.

by pushing the bungee toward the hinge, it loosens the tension so door would open slower
(or open up only about a 3/4 of a way.)

by tightening it, door would open faster.

hope this better explains it...

·
Registered
283 Posts
hope it won't make problem with trunk hinge with the resistance the cord make...if you understand what i mean :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
That's freakin awesome! To home depot!it also looks like you have a light bar or led strip in your trunk.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
199 Posts
Trunk pop mod. I'll be digging in the basement for my bungees tommorow. So simple!!!! Thank you

Sent from my HTCONE

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks for the idea. I did this right before I installed my HID conversion fogs today. It worked a few times with my old bungee cord so I'm going to get a new one that will make it open higher and faster. This is a sweet mod for under $10.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts