Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok time for my first ever DIY. I came across some LED turn signals on ebay the other day that were selling for like 40 bux for the pair shipped coming out of Seoul. I figured what the heck its only 40 bux. Turns out these are really easy to install. Im not sure if all Optimas come with the foreward facing LED turn signal on the side mirrors, but if yours dont have this, you cant do this mod. Heres a link to what I bought.
Side Mirror LED Turn Signal Repeater DIY Kit for Kia Optima K5 | eBay

Tools Needed: Wedge tool, Wire crimpers, wire strippers, 4 t-taps, razor blade, clear tape, goo gone or goof off (whatever you prefer to remove sticky stuff), paper towels

If you need pics regarding a specific step just PM me.
View attachment 80793 View attachment 80801
Step 1. Pop the mirror out of the housing. (In the words of Monkey, If you cant get past this step, back away from the car lol) This can be done by simply pulling on the mirror. If you have heated mirrors, it will be hanging by the two wires connected to the heating element on the back of the mirror. So dont pull to hard, theres only a few inches of slack in the wiring.

Step 2. Remove the black plastic casing around the mirror. You need to use the wedge tool for this part. There are two, sometimes 4, strips of adhesive holding the mirror in place. Carefully work around the edges first so that you dont bend the mirror or the plastic because it can crack pretty easily. I used a plastic wedge tool used for cutting vinyl wrap. Its really thin but firm and does the trick. After the plastic casing is freed up on the outsides, squeez the wedge tool in between the glass and the plastic to cut through the adhesive tape. After you do this, the mirror will come loose.

Step 3. Remove adhesive and any heating element that would be in the way of the LED's. I used a razor blade to cut a straight line through the heating element, removing about 1/3 of the element on the opposite side of where the wires attach to it. I understand that this step may turn people off from wanting to do this mod, especially if you live up north. However, I live in Houston, Tx. No snow or cold weather of any kind down here to worry about. Use the razor blade, adhesive remover, and paper towels to clean up the area, making it as clean as possible. Be careful not to scratch the glass because these LED's are really bright and any imperfection on the inside part of the glass will telescope through when the lights are flashing.

Step 4. Connect the LED's to the factory signal wiring. A t-tap consists of two parts, a clamp and a plug that connects to the clamp. Attach two plug ends to the end of the wires coming from the LED signal. Now behind the motor that moves the mirror, there will be a wire connection with only two wires, a red and a red/black. There is also a series of wires with just red and solid black. Stay away from these. Place a t-tap clamp on each of the first set of wires i mentioned, the red and red/black. Now connect the LED's to the corresponding wires. Black to black and red to red. Make sure that the LED wires go through the center of the plastic housing so that you can snap the mirror back on later.

Step 5. Tape the LED's to the plastic housing that clips on to the mirror. I used clear packing tape because its clear, obviously lol. I tried 3M emblem adhesive but its too thick. Tape is good enough because once you snap that cover back on, the LED signal isnt going anywhere. As far as alignment of the lights is concerned, I placed the tip of the "arrow shape" at the very edge of the cover (dont forget to place the LED's facing up lol). There are two LED's in the middle of the signal arrow that I lined up horizontally with the plastic pieces going across the center of the plastic cover. Once everything is ligned up, just put a piece of tape across it, holding it in place.

Step 6. Reassemble. Carefully snap the mirror back on the housing then reconnect the mirror assembly to the mirror motor inside the mirror itself.

Step 7. Repeat steps 1-6 with the other side :)

I hope that this is helpful enough for you guys. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice write up. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't this affect the heated mirrors?
yes. the area of the mirror with removed heating element wont be warmed up but the heating element still comes on. I live in houston texas so im not worried about it. I briefely mentioned it in step 3

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Great job again and I have always been a fan of this arrow turn signal mod. I just couldn't give up my heated mirrors because of the cold weather or else I would love to do this mod. Thanks for the nice write up :thumbsup:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great job again and I have always been a fan of this arrow turn signal mod. I just couldn't give up my heated mirrors because of the cold weather or else I would love to do this mod. Thanks for the nice write up :thumbsup:
thanks man, the only place you lose heating power is the area where the arrow is. everything else still heats up. its the same with most heated factory mirrors that have turn arrows already in them. if you pull apart a mirror from an escalade, it will be just the same. the heating element will be everywhere except where the arrow is.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
thanks man, the only place you lose heating power is the area where the arrow is. everything else still heats up. its the same with most heated factory mirrors that have turn arrows already in them. if you pull apart a mirror from an escalade, it will be just the same. the heating element will be everywhere except where the arrow is.
Gotcha, I might have to think about this mod real hard cuz I'm a big fan of them. Thanks.

Very nice. Exledshop carries a couple of sequential versions exLED SST 3 Line Sequential Side Mirror Glass Repeater LED Module Type 2 and this one exLED SST-7 Side Mirror SEQUENTIAL Signal LED Module

Next time I will read everything :cry:
Scott, thanks for the link. I'm sure Exled quality is top notch ;).

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think im going to wait for someone else to install these and then see how they look cuz the more i look at them they dont look that much brighter

1 - 18 of 18 Posts