Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need this from exLED USA. exLED Kia Optima K5 ('10~) Side repeater Upgrade Module
You also need the TPC module and the OEM housing options on the page if you don’t already have them. Here’s a photo of one of the pieces I am talking about.

This will allow the amber blinkers in your side mirrors to shine white when the car lights are on, and switch to amber for signaling purposes. For example….

You will need to remove your car door panel (both front drivers and passenger sides) and also remove your side mirrors for this mod. I am assuming you know how to remove your door panels. So here is how to do the mirrors.
Remove the plastic cover to expose (3) 10mm, a size 6 torx and the mirror wiring harness. Unscrew or disconnect all.

With the mirror now off, you need to remove the glass, which is clipped into the housing. Stick a flat edge screw driver in as shown and rotate it around to release the plastic clips.

Here is another photo showing using a flat edge screw driver. Take your time and pop apart the plastic clips.

Once apart, disconnect the two black wires you see circled in green and set aside the glass. The wires are for the heated mirror elements, fyi.

Next remove the two torx screws on the outer edge of the mirror housing you see circled here. This will release the black outer housing.

With the black outer housing off, now time to remove the front shell (mine is red). The outer shell is simply clipped onto the inner. You can see several of them circled here in green. There are a few others but once you have these loose, you can easily wiggle it apart.

With all the pieces now apart, the side mirror turn signal housing is now exposed. You should be able to lift up on it. You will want to cut the two wires on the back of the oem turn sign housing as your new one will attach in its place.

Before installing the new turn signal housing, on the bottom of the side mirror housing is a plastic panel that you can easily pop off with a pick, knife or similar tool. You will need this removed to provide access for a later step.

Now we can wire the new turn signal housing to the two wires you cut previously. I recommend soldering them however there is room for small other type of connectors. The factory green wire is ground and the factory orange wire is “flash.” So wire your black to green and your yellow to orange and the white wire will be extended into the door cavity to find a wire that has power when the lights are on.

In this photo here, the new turn signal housing has been installed and the first two wires have been done with the white wire ready to be fed into the hole alongside the mirror’s wiring harness. I used part of a bent coat hanger to make this process easy. (as shown in photo below)

Pull the white wire through. Note you may need to extend the white wire length as its not terribly long.

You can see I extended my white wire with some green I had lying around. You will feed your wire through the housing however you will need to drill a small “escape” hole for your wire which will allow you to bring it into the door panel.

At this point you can reassemble your mirror and reattach to the door, ensuring to feed the white wire through the escape hole that was drilled and all parts of the mirror are snapped, plugged and screwed back together.

This is the drivers mirror wiring harness. You will need to cut the blue with orange stripe wire and the black wire. We need to do this to install the TPS module.

The TPS module needs to be hooked up so the “ex” side of the module is connected to the car side of the harness and the “LED” side is connected towards the mirror side. You will hook the yellow wire to the blue with orange stripe and the black wire to the black wire, on both sides as shown in the photo.
The white wire on the “LED” side connects to your white wire you brought in from the mirror. The “ex” side white wire, we will find a place within the door to tap for power.

Here is the TPS module mounted (I used 3m tape) on the drivers side door all wired up.

Passenger side door has different wiring colors. While the negative is still black like the drivers side, the “flasher” signal wire is red with an orange stripe. Connect that one to the TPS module yellow wire as shown in the picture. Note: the green wire connected to the white in this photo is an extension I made off the white within the mirror housing. Don’t forget to connect up your white.

On the drivers side door, locate this wiring harness (only one) and note the thin blue wire shown in the photo. This wire reads 12 volts when the lights are on and should be used as the source for your white wire. Solder or otherwise tap this wire.

On the passenger side door, locate this wiring harness (only one) and note the blue wire shown in the middle of the photo. This wire reads 12 volts when the light are on and should be used as the source for your white wire on the passenger side.

Reassemble the door and tighten up the mirror bolts on each side. Turn on your lights and both mirrors should now look like this. Enjoy!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,772 Posts
One of our customers came over to the shop on Friday and had this installed on his Optima.

Looks really neat when the lights are on and the white section is illuminated. We may consider adding this option to the site in the future.

Thanks for creating the DIY for others to use during the installation. All in all how long would you say this mod takes to complete from start to finish?

·
Registered
2013 Optima Hybird
10 Posts
Here is a couple pics of mine installed.

Very nice mod from EXLED.

mirror yellow.jpg mirror white.jpg

Reactions: JasonS

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...Thanks for creating the DIY for others to use during the installation. All in all how long would you say this mod takes to complete from start to finish?
David, I would have to say this takes a little while, probably a weekend project as you have to disassemble both mirrors but also remove both door panels.

Here is a couple pics of mine installed. Very nice mod from EXLED.
View attachment 180809 View attachment 180817
I agree. Thanks for the pictures. Did you do the 6K or the 7K lights? I did 6 as the 7's were definitely blue looking imo.

·
Registered
2015 KIA OPTIMA
193 Posts
Jason thanks so much for this DIY. I've had these things forever lying around and just installed them because you made this DIY.
My car is a 2015 SXL and my wire to connect the white wire on the TPS module inside the door is not blue. My wires are blue with an orange stripe. Hope this is the only difference between 2011-2013 and 2014-2015.
A few notes:
2011-2013 BLUE WIRE
2014-2015 blue wire with ORANGE STRIPE

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jason thanks so much for this DIY. I've had these things forever lying around and just installed them because you made this DIY. My car is a 2015 SXL and my wire to connect the white wire on the TPS module inside the door is not blue. My wires are blue with an orange stripe. Hope this is the only difference between 2011-2013 and 2014-2015.
A few notes:
2011-2013 BLUE WIRE
2014-2015 blue wire with ORANGE STRIPE
Good to know Nick. Thanks for the input. Do you like the look now? I certainly do! So how long did it take you to do both sides?

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
1,663 Posts
Need this from exLED USA. exLED Kia Optima K5 ('10~) Side repeater Upgrade Module
You also need the TPC module and the OEM housing options on the page if you don’t already have them. Here’s a photo of one of the pieces I am talking about.

This will allow the amber blinkers in your side mirrors to shine white when the car lights are on, and switch to amber for signaling purposes. For example….

You will need to remove your car door panel (both front drivers and passenger sides) and also remove your side mirrors for this mod. I am assuming you know how to remove your door panels. So here is how to do the mirrors.
Remove the plastic cover to expose (3) 10mm, a size 6 torx and the mirror wiring harness. Unscrew or disconnect all.

With the mirror now off, you need to remove the glass, which is clipped into the housing. Stick a flat edge screw driver in as shown and rotate it around to release the plastic clips.

Here is another photo showing using a flat edge screw driver. Take your time and pop apart the plastic clips.

Once apart, disconnect the two black wires you see circled in green and set aside the glass. The wires are for the heated mirror elements, fyi.

Next remove the two torx screws on the outer edge of the mirror housing you see circled here. This will release the black outer housing.

With the black outer housing off, now time to remove the front shell (mine is red). The outer shell is simply clipped onto the inner. You can see several of them circled here in green. There are a few others but once you have these loose, you can easily wiggle it apart.

With all the pieces now apart, the side mirror turn signal housing is now exposed. You should be able to lift up on it. You will want to cut the two wires on the back of the oem turn sign housing as your new one will attach in its place.

Before installing the new turn signal housing, on the bottom of the side mirror housing is a plastic panel that you can easily pop off with a pick, knife or similar tool. You will need this removed to provide access for a later step.

Now we can wire the new turn signal housing to the two wires you cut previously. I recommend soldering them however there is room for small other type of connectors. The factory green wire is ground and the factory orange wire is “flash.” So wire your black to green and your yellow to orange and the white wire will be extended into the door cavity to find a wire that has power when the lights are on.

In this photo here, the new turn signal housing has been installed and the first two wires have been done with the white wire ready to be fed into the hole alongside the mirror’s wiring harness. I used part of a bent coat hanger to make this process easy. (as shown in photo below)

Pull the white wire through. Note you may need to extend the white wire length as its not terribly long.

You can see I extended my white wire with some green I had lying around. You will feed your wire through the housing however you will need to drill a small “escape” hole for your wire which will allow you to bring it into the door panel.

At this point you can reassemble your mirror and reattach to the door, ensuring to feed the white wire through the escape hole that was drilled and all parts of the mirror are snapped, plugged and screwed back together.

This is the drivers mirror wiring harness. You will need to cut the blue with orange stripe wire and the black wire. We need to do this to install the TPS module.

The TPS module needs to be hooked up so the “ex” side of the module is connected to the car side of the harness and the “LED” side is connected towards the mirror side. You will hook the yellow wire to the blue with orange stripe and the black wire to the black wire, on both sides as shown in the photo.
The white wire on the “LED” side connects to your white wire you brought in from the mirror. The “ex” side white wire, we will find a place within the door to tap for power.

Here is the TPS module mounted (I used 3m tape) on the drivers side door all wired up.

Passenger side door has different wiring colors. While the negative is still black like the drivers side, the “flasher” signal wire is red with an orange stripe. Connect that one to the TPS module yellow wire as shown in the picture. Note: the green wire connected to the white in this photo is an extension I made off the white within the mirror housing. Don’t forget to connect up your white.

On the drivers side door, locate this wiring harness (only one) and note the thin blue wire shown in the photo. This wire reads 12 volts when the lights are on and should be used as the source for your white wire. Solder or otherwise tap this wire.

On the passenger side door, locate this wiring harness (only one) and note the blue wire shown in the middle of the photo. This wire reads 12 volts when the light are on and should be used as the source for your white wire on the passenger side.

Reassemble the door and tighten up the mirror bolts on each side. Turn on your lights and both mirrors should now look like this. Enjoy!
Nice DIY, but you should not just wrap your electrical connectors with tape.

You or anyone else should use proper heat wrap over the wire connections.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Nice DIY, but you should not just wrap your electrical connectors with tape.

You or anyone else should use proper heat wrap over the wire connections.

·
Registered
2015 KIA OPTIMA
193 Posts
Good to know Nick. Thanks for the input. Do you like the look now? I certainly do! So how long did it take you to do both sides?
Love the look. Took a long time cause kept trying to look for that blue wire lol. Maybe around 4 hours. I think if I can do it again I can finish it in 2 hours or less. That's with the lights already made by Exled
Some random pic at the gas station

·
Registered
2015 KIA OPTIMA
193 Posts
Just realized my photo never loaded. Here's a night shot at a chevron gas station. Don't mind the blue LEDs from the gas station lol. Love the look!
[/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like its supposed to...awesome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Used this to work on replacing my 2016 SX Turbo's side mirror directional (someone hit it a while ago and after a recent rain, it finally shorted out). Got the replacement LED lights. Got the mirror housing opened up and noticed that the light didn't fit. Apparently the Turbo has a completely different type of light. Not even close to these. Looking to get a refund since they don't fit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts