Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Optima 2014 Kia Optima SX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone that has had their engine replaced due to baring defect recall, would you guys be able to provide an invoice showing exactly what was done?

I'm curious as to exactly what is being replaced. I know the short block is being replaced but what other parts in addition. Like do they replace spark plugs, gaskets, any sort of things that would have been damaged from oil being caked on etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
They put new plugs in mine, according to the service advisor, both times. Make sure you check your oil and coolant levels before you leave. My reservoir was sitting at the low coolant level when I checked it. Also, check your A/C before you leave to make sure it gets cold. Mine worked just fine before it went in this last time and now it doesn't. I should have checked it there before I left instead of finding out a week later when it got hot out and I needed it. I'm still finding issues from this last engine change out and mine was done at the end of June.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
59 Posts
Anybody that isn’t fighting for a turbo is only causing their own headaches. Not to mention that it should be a long block. I’m sick to think of all that metal running through everything and you are getting back the same head and turbo. ANYTHING connected to the oil system should be replaced.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,610 Posts
Anybody that isn’t fighting for a turbo is only causing their own headaches. Not to mention that it should be a long block. I’m sick to think of all that metal running through everything and you are getting back the same head and turbo. ANYTHING connected to the oil system should be replaced.
Sometimes it's hard enough fighting for a replacement engine let alone another turbo, but they surely aren't going to replace every turbo if no damage is noticed.
On our '11 2.0T the engine was replaced 172,000 miles, just long block, no new turbo, and has been fine with 45k miles.
With all the engine replacements, there have only been a couple that I've heard of having the turbo replaced along with the engine.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
59 Posts
I am one of them. My engine seized on the service drive. After I drove it 40 mins to the dealer. My dealer didn’t offer a tow for the knock. They told me to drive it there. I fought for a new trans as well. Didn’t win that one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a long block and intake manifold. Associated gaskets. Engine feels like new. Tight and snappy. What is the root cause of these failures?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am one of them. My engine seized on the service drive. After I drove it 40 mins to the dealer. My dealer didn’t offer a tow for the knock. They told me to drive it there. I fought for a new trans as well. Didn’t win that one.
What was your argument for a new trans?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
59 Posts
The stress of a laboring motor on the trans. Like I said they didn’t go for it. I was happy to get a turbo out of it. When my motor went it took the turbo seals with it. Didn’t really have a choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts