Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2014 Optima EX with a panoramic sunroof. Last week I had noticed the shark fin antenna cover wasn't sitting tight on the mount pad. When I pulled up on the cover it separated from the mount pad without much resistance and saw that the internal screw holes were in bad shape. It didn't look like any of the internals of the shark fin antenna were damaged. I used some silicone caulking and secured the cover to the pad for the time being.

I'm thinking about changing out the shark fin antenna with a low profile aftermarket unit. But, I noticed that the screws holding the cover on were coming upwards from the base pad. How much of a job is it to remove the old shark fin unit, and by having a panoramic sunroof does that make the task harder? Also, is the connecting cable on the shark fin antenna a universal connection? If I can avoid having to re-feeding another cable that would be a big time saver.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,870 Posts
Looks like quite a few have the problem and to replace the headliner needs to come down.
Here's some info about the antenna/fix:

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
125 Posts
It’s a decent job with dropping the headliner. I glued mine back on a few years ago and it’s been great. At least you still have yours and it didn’t fly off somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
You may want to contact the dealership on it. There is a tech bulletin that they will have to dig for, but they should be able to replace it under that pending your specific situation with warranty and such. I got mine covered on my 2015 and was told it would have been even if it was outside the warranty, but that could have been fluff. Knowing these advisors - they'll tell you what they think you want to hear. There's a manufacturing defect that causes the holes for the threaded inserts to break down and cause the cover to come loose. Can't remember the years it covers. Good luck!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
4 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2014 Optima EX with a panoramic sunroof. Last week I had noticed the shark fin antenna cover wasn't sitting tight on the mount pad. When I pulled up on the cover it separated from the mount pad without much resistance and saw that the internal screw holes were in bad shape. It didn't look like any of the internals of the shark fin antenna were damaged. I used some silicone caulking and secured the cover to the pad for the time being.

I'm thinking about changing out the shark fin antenna with a low profile aftermarket unit. But, I noticed that the screws holding the cover on were coming upwards from the base pad. How much of a job is it to remove the old shark fin unit, and by having a panoramic sunroof does that make the task harder? Also, is the connecting cable on the shark fin antenna a universal connection? If I can avoid having to re-feeding another cable that would be a big time saver.

Zipmac, I have the same 2014 with the panoramic sunroof and I just changed my antenna Assy due to a missing cover. There are 3 different antennas available depending if you have Nav and other options so make sure the dealer uses your VIN to order one. The recall starts at 2015 so yours is not covered as mine wasn't either. Carefully take your aft interior dome light down and you can see and reach the antenna. I loosened my headliner in the aft corners but you may not have to. I think just removing the light may be all you need. The two wire connections pull straight down. One large, like 16 MM ??, nut holds the whole thing in place. The fin covers comes with the antenna and you do not need to remove it to replace the antenna. Don't Over tighten the large nut. It was pretty easy. Good luck!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima SXL turbo
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

yep same problem here mine flew off while driving every thing of mine worked fine since (i think xm works pretty sure i tried it since) sounds like its very common on these cars

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 optima ex with pano roof and just notice the shark fin cover is missing from my antenna. I’ve been looking all over the internet for just a cover replacement and can’t find one - every place wants you to buy the whole thing and Kia wants to charge me $800 to replace and $190 for part. Please help

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
29,029 Posts
I have a 2015 optima ex with pano roof and just notice the shark fin cover is missing from my antenna. I’ve been looking all over the internet for just a cover replacement and can’t find one - every place wants you to buy the whole thing and Kia wants to charge me $800 to replace and $190 for part. Please help
eBay you can find it for super cheap!

·
Registered
5 Posts
It’s a decent job with dropping the headliner. I glued mine back on a few years ago and it’s been great. At least you still have yours and it didn’t fly off somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where did you buy the replacement fin? I've tried 2 different ones and both didn't fit.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
522 Posts
You may want to contact the dealership on it. There is a tech bulletin that they will have to dig for, but they should be able to replace it under that pending your specific situation with warranty and such. I got mine covered on my 2015 and was told it would have been even if it was outside the warranty, but that could have been fluff. Knowing these advisors - they'll tell you what they think you want to hear. There's a manufacturing defect that causes the holes for the threaded inserts to break down and cause the cover to come loose. Can't remember the years it covers. Good luck!
Possible one Dealer gets this done for other than "16's and the Next will Not .....
Ref future Searchers for this issue -- For '16 Optimas ( built 9/28/15 - 6/1/16 ) -- SA272 / TSB 130 for exam/replace possible Antenna Assembly Cover separation from the base. I presume this did Not Presume a "Pulled-Off by a Car Wash" cause BUT you might reference this SA on '16 AND other year models WHEN the separation / loss cause was via "normal use".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2014 SXL and had the same problem. I just took some double sided gorilla tape and stuck it right back on. the heat caused it to fix into place better and it doesn’t come off without a decent tug.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2014 SXL and had the same problem. I just took some double sided gorilla tape and stuck it right back on. the heat caused it to fix into place better and it doesn’t come off without a decent tug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My problem is I don’t have the original shark fin so the ones I’ve bought off the Internet don’t slide over the bottom piece in the picture

1 - 20 of 22 Posts