Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Kia Optima and my antenna also came flying off. Took it to the Temecula Kia dealership after seeing the 2016 recall and they charged me $140 diagnostic fee, then they wanted another $300 to repair it! This is so outrageous! I will NEVER do business with Kia again!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,045 Posts
What--they charged you a diagnostic fee just to confirm that indeed the antenna needed repairing/replacing? What part of "antenna came flying off" did they not understand that they needed to perform some "diagnostics" (hence the diagnostic fee) in order to determine the diagnosis? And oh BTW--did they tell you that, if you chose to have them repair it, the $140 fee would count towards the total repair cost...or are they saying that it will cost a total of $440 to repair?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My antenna got snapped off all 5 screws sheared.

The dealership wants $600 for part and install. The radio still works and I'm cheap so I would rather just glue/silicone a plastic cover on.

Do you know if there is/are some parts above the green chip that got knocked off? Will I lose any functionality by not replacing the antenna and just capping it?

Thanks for your help.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A PIC OF HOW IT LOOKS ONCE YOU ORDER THE FIN?

·
Registered
3 Posts
good idea chuck. It is currently at my local shop being installed.
I know it's been a while, but this just happened to me. I'm going to have the body shop replace it. Can you tell me if there were any other parts besides the replacement antenna (in my case the 962302T700) that you needed to buy? I'm assuming the existing stuff can be reused, but want to make sure, just in case.

·
Registered
3 Posts

The dealership wants $600 for part and install. The radio still works and I'm cheap so I would rather just glue/silicone a plastic cover on.

Do you know if there is/are some parts above the green chip that got knocked off? Will I lose any functionality by not replacing the antenna and just capping it?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you had any luck with you enquiries about the replacement cover? If so, where did you purchase you fin and did the color match? Please let my know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dunno if you already replaced the shark fin by now; but I had this same thing happen to me shortly after I bought the car. There's nothing in the shark fin itself. It basically just serves as a cover. You can get a new one off EBay if you don't have the original one and just use JB weld to stick it back on there. I did that with mine months ago; and after it cures, it'll survive any kind of weather conditions. Just make sure you don't wash your car and that it's not gonna rain for at least 24hrs once you set it on there. If it weren't dark right now, I'd show you a picture of how mine turned out. For the most part, you can't even tell it had fallen off at any point.
Post a picture

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you had any luck with you enquiries about the replacement cover? If so, where did you purchase you fin and did the color match? Please let my know.
I've not been able to find a replacement cover that I could be sure would work. I bought the replacement antenna and I'm having a body shop replace it for me. They are charging me $100, which I feel is fair considering the amount of labor involved. And it's someone that my ex knows (we get along so it's ok LOL) so I'd rather give him the business knowing it will get done right. Hopefully the part will arrive soon so I can get it taken care of. It drives me crazy seeing the black electrical tape covering up the antenna.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Think exact this situation happened to me in a car wash months ago. I've bought 4 different fins on ebay and amazon claiming to fit kia optima lx 2015 but none of them did.

Do you have the link where you bought yours for $50?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm very upset. 2016 Kia Optima 2016.
Antenna cover sucks. I was backing up at home street parking. I stopped, and it slid down onto the truck. Dealership won't fix it for under $599. Told me to call Kia for warranty. Dealership wasn't able to help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My fin came off whilst I was driving, there was light hail stones on the roof but that is it. I've been a Kia customer for many years and I'm extremely annoyed that this even happened never mind the fact that it's not even covered by our warranty. I will definitely not purchase Kia again.

·
Registered
2015 optima optima lx
1 Posts
My daughter took her 2015 LX through the car wash. The wash knocked it loose some how. When she came home from college. I added a couple drops of LOCTITE Super Glue. Comes in a small blue bottle. The fin broke off clean. There is a thin piece of plastic I added the drops to that part of the fin. This was two years ago. Never had a problem since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
521 Posts
I'm very upset. 2016 Kia Optima 2016.
Antenna cover sucks. I was backing up at home street parking. I stopped, and it slid down onto the truck. Dealership won't fix it for under $599. Told me to call Kia for warranty. Dealership wasn't able to help.
Ref future Searchers for this issue -- For '16 Optimas ( built 9/28/15 - 6/1/16 ) -- SA272 / TSB 130 for exam/replace possible Antenna Assembly Cover separation from the base. I presume this did Not Presume a "Pulled-Off by a Car Wash" cause BUT you might reference this SA on '16 AND other year models WHEN the separation / loss cause was via "normal use".

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks for your help.
Same thing just happened to my 2015 Optima at the car wash! unable to find part online that fits even though I put correct year and make etc. “universal “ nonsense and dealer wants a ton of money just for plastic replacement!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same thing just happened to my 2015 Optima at the car wash! unable to find part online that fits even though I put correct year and make etc. “universal “ nonsense and dealer wants a ton of money just for plastic replacement!!!
Someone said to try this of amazon:

rand: Hyundai Mobis
3.7 out of 5 stars 74 Reviews
HYUNDAI Genuine OEM Shark Fin Dummy Antenna Assembly 96210-1M800

I’m buying one once I’m back from my trip

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.
same **** happened to me 2 days ago in was in those drive thru car wash n I hear a loud noise look on top of my car and the shark fin piece of plastic was gone, came clean off just like urs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,
I have this same issue. I have a 2015 Sx Turbo and had the antenna snap off in the car wash. I bought a replacement fin off eBay and it won’t fit over the base of the original antenna. Anyone have any ideas? I’ve already taken off the headliner for a different project in the past and it is a b**** to do without breaking the clips so I would prefer not to take that route again. Any suggestions??
Thanks

21 - 40 of 51 Posts