Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Kia Optima and my antenna also came flying off. Took it to the Temecula Kia dealership after seeing the 2016 recall and they charged me $140 diagnostic fee, then they wanted another $300 to repair it! This is so outrageous! I will NEVER do business with Kia again!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
661 Posts
What--they charged you a diagnostic fee just to confirm that indeed the antenna needed repairing/replacing? What part of "antenna came flying off" did they not understand that they needed to perform some "diagnostics" (hence the diagnostic fee) in order to determine the diagnosis? And oh BTW--did they tell you that, if you chose to have them repair it, the $140 fee would count towards the total repair cost...or are they saying that it will cost a total of $440 to repair?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My antenna got snapped off all 5 screws sheared.

The dealership wants $600 for part and install. The radio still works and I'm cheap so I would rather just glue/silicone a plastic cover on.

Do you know if there is/are some parts above the green chip that got knocked off? Will I lose any functionality by not replacing the antenna and just capping it?

Thanks for your help.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A PIC OF HOW IT LOOKS ONCE YOU ORDER THE FIN?

·
Registered
2 Posts
good idea chuck. It is currently at my local shop being installed.
I know it's been a while, but this just happened to me. I'm going to have the body shop replace it. Can you tell me if there were any other parts besides the replacement antenna (in my case the 962302T700) that you needed to buy? I'm assuming the existing stuff can be reused, but want to make sure, just in case.

·
Registered
3 Posts

The dealership wants $600 for part and install. The radio still works and I'm cheap so I would rather just glue/silicone a plastic cover on.

Do you know if there is/are some parts above the green chip that got knocked off? Will I lose any functionality by not replacing the antenna and just capping it?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you had any luck with you enquiries about the replacement cover? If so, where did you purchase you fin and did the color match? Please let my know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dunno if you already replaced the shark fin by now; but I had this same thing happen to me shortly after I bought the car. There's nothing in the shark fin itself. It basically just serves as a cover. You can get a new one off EBay if you don't have the original one and just use JB weld to stick it back on there. I did that with mine months ago; and after it cures, it'll survive any kind of weather conditions. Just make sure you don't wash your car and that it's not gonna rain for at least 24hrs once you set it on there. If it weren't dark right now, I'd show you a picture of how mine turned out. For the most part, you can't even tell it had fallen off at any point.
Post a picture

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you had any luck with you enquiries about the replacement cover? If so, where did you purchase you fin and did the color match? Please let my know.
I've not been able to find a replacement cover that I could be sure would work. I bought the replacement antenna and I'm having a body shop replace it for me. They are charging me $100, which I feel is fair considering the amount of labor involved. And it's someone that my ex knows (we get along so it's ok LOL) so I'd rather give him the business knowing it will get done right. Hopefully the part will arrive soon so I can get it taken care of. It drives me crazy seeing the black electrical tape covering up the antenna.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts