Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My antenna got snapped off all 5 screws sheared.

The dealership wants $600 for part and install. The radio still works and I'm cheap so I would rather just glue/silicone a plastic cover on.

Do you know if there is/are some parts above the green chip that got knocked off? Will I lose any functionality by not replacing the antenna and just capping it?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
oh wow, that's really interesting how it came off so cleanly! My guess is the white square is a GPS antenna. Any chance you can find the rest of the shark fin that came off?

Because I'm suspicious now, could it be that the shark fin is just a big dumb piece of plastic that does nothing except add some looks to the roof?

I assume your GPS/navigation still work fine?

Assuming all is OK, my approach would be to build a cover, but it would look like a black pizza slice instead of a shark fin. Use dremel or jig saw to cut a triangle, then cut 3 strips to serve as the walls. Use silicone to glue the walls and then glue the triangle on top.

·
Banned
3,284 Posts
You probably have a basic set up, XM in the fin and FM radio in the window. Similar to this. Try everything and if it works, shut this thing with a cheapo hollow fin.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It came off in a car wash so I don't have the remains.

It doesn't have navigation, and I don't subscribe to satellite radio. So it looks like ill order one of the cheapo covers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2016 had the shark fin replaced under some recall. There was nothing wrong with it, though, AFAICould tell. Despite there being a recall, the dealer didn't have the part in stock; had to make another appointment when it became available. Such is Kia dealership experience... sigh!

So check if yours is covered under the recall. Car wash is exact situation that the service advisor talked of when I asked the details. He brought that up quickly because he may've sensed my follow up question and so steered clear of it-- who's liable if this thing just flies off and hits the vehicle behind me at highway speeds -- Kia or me?

-TC

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Tremor and Haim.

I took it to the dealership, they said the recall was only for 2016 and not my 2017. The service rep was sympathetic but said they won't help me. I called Kia Canada and they said that they issue separate bulletins from Kia USA. They said that they wouldn't help, I told them that I was an unhappy customer and think that it is an obvious manufacturing defect and to pass it along to their Manager.

I don't think this is going anywhere so back to looking for a fake plastic fin.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Disassembly looks like a pain to me. Can you maybe visit a junkyard and bring with you a dremel tool and cut a unit housing off, then glue it? Can be from almost any late model car. Black ones are the most popular color too. I would then probably use a couple of small diameter screws to secure it securely. Seal it good and I'm sure you would be good to go!

edit: doing a quick eBay search for automotive shark fin resulted in a bunch available pretty cheap. I'd go with one of these for sure:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=automotive+shark+fin&_sacat=0

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was talking to a dealerships service and mentioned the ripoff pricing for an antenna which another dealer quoted me. He said that he doesn't think they are that expensive. He found one left in BC that has been reduced in price from $60canadian to $50. Not sure why the first dealer didn't offer this.

So I bought the $50 antenna.

Anyone know how to drop the headliner on a 2017 with no sunroof?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just a thought...... Rather than a KIA dealer to replace it why not contact some local body shops. Sure some of them know how to drop the headliner and would probably cost less.

·
Registered
393 Posts
They are about $10 on Ebay. Just search "Kia shark fin antenna."
For NAV owners ... My eBay Search for a Kia Shark Fin Nav antenna kit showed 98% for AM-FM and the Real Kia Boxes were $130 ..
Cheap Cosmetic covers for Non-Nav could work. Assume AM-FM is in Rear Windshield for All.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a thought...... Rather than a KIA dealer to replace it why not contact some local body shops. Sure some of them know how to drop the headliner and would probably cost less.
good idea chuck. It is currently at my local shop being installed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My antenna got snapped off all 5 screws sheared.

The dealership wants $600 for part and install. The radio still works and I'm cheap so I would rather just glue/silicone a plastic cover on.

Do you know if there is/are some parts above the green chip that got knocked off? Will I lose any functionality by not replacing the antenna and just capping it?

Thanks for your help.
Dunno if you already replaced the shark fin by now; but I had this same thing happen to me shortly after I bought the car. There's nothing in the shark fin itself. It basically just serves as a cover. You can get a new one off EBay if you don't have the original one and just use JB weld to stick it back on there. I did that with mine months ago; and after it cures, it'll survive any kind of weather conditions. Just make sure you don't wash your car and that it's not gonna rain for at least 24hrs once you set it on there. If it weren't dark right now, I'd show you a picture of how mine turned out. For the most part, you can't even tell it had fallen off at any point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took the discounted fin to my trusted local mechanic and for $100 he installed it. I guess I could of just glued it on but I'm happy that it is now fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dealership told me it would be around $500 for parts and install. All the screws were broken. Service guy asked how it came off and I told him that I don't ride on the top of my car. 🤷 Bought a cover off eBay and it won't work, won't go around the base of the antenna. Sounds to me like Kia needs a full recall on this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dealership told me it would be around $500 for parts and install. All the screws were broken. Service guy asked how it came off and I told him that I don't ride on the top of my car. 🤷 Bought a cover off eBay and it won't work, won't go around the base of the antenna. Sounds to me like Kia needs a full recall on this issue.
Do you know which you bought/link for it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
Kiagirl2015
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing