Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Our 2011 SX has done this since day 1. Nothing audible though or I would have taken it in for some tweaking.

I can say that after owning 10+ BMW's. 5's and 3's (mostly 3's) that none of them ever did this. Years ranging from 87 - 2002. And those definitely have sport suspensions from the factory and some I have lowered 1.5-2" without exhibiting this issue. I think there is a way to keep the car from doing this that the higher end manufacturers have figured out, but it costs money to introduce into production. Just guessing.

I live with it but it sure would be nice if it didn't do it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Funny, my wife hasn't complained one bit that the seat shakes.
She just sits there and grins bigger and bigger as we drive down the road.
Huh. ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Our 2011 SX has done this since day 1. Nothing audible though or I would have taken it in for some tweaking.

I can say that after owning 10+ BMW's. 5's and 3's (mostly 3's) that none of them ever did this. I live with it but it sure would be nice if it didn't do it.
True. None of my 4 BMW's have exhibted this sympton either.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,093 Posts

I can say that after owning 10+ BMW's. 5's and 3's (mostly 3's) that none of them ever did this. Years ranging from 87 - 2002. And those definitely have sport suspensions from the factory and some I have lowered 1.5-2" without exhibiting this issue. I think there is a way to keep the car from doing this that the higher end manufacturers have figured out, but it costs money to introduce into production. Just guessing.

I live with it but it sure would be nice if it didn't do it.
+ 1 :iagree:

Funny, my wife hasn't complained one bit that the seat shakes.
She just sits there and grins bigger and bigger as we drive down the road.
Huh. ;)
It's not noticeable when someone is sitting in the seat. Only when driving and having no passenger.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I've got the rattle too...blerg...

...and I hate it...

I try and move it back far enough where it rests on my rear facing child carseat but the rattle still trumps. Would this be similar to the driver seat movement TSB?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, I had to go road test this one, got up to 80 mph and there was no movement at all. Surely there is a wheel out of balance causing this and transmitting the vibration through to the seat. But that is just my best guess.

P.S.
I'm gonna take the wheel weights off the passenger side, as my name indicates, I need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi optima fans,

I'm about to hit 3000 miles on my new EX Luxe (canada specs) and my passenger seat is shaking like crazy when I hit 55+ miles/h. Anyone has gone to the dealer with this issue? I will ask about it at my first oil change that is coming soon but I wanted to check with you guys if any dealer had done something to fix the problem

D from up north of the border

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Can you try an experiment? Raise or lower the headrest on the passenger seat. That should change the natural resonance frequency (if you think of the seat as a pendulum) and maybe change the speed at which the shaking occurs (maybe shifting it into a much higher speed, or lower speed).

The point would be to change the natural vibration point of the seat into a speed that you don't cruise at, even if it's slower or faster. I haven't tested this, but I don't have the issue. My passenger seat headrest is about, hmm, halfway extended, or maybe 1/3?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My headrest is also halfway out. I'm not to much concern for family road trips since there will always be someone in the passenger seat but when I'm commuting every day and traffic in the highway is fluid I can hit 65 + the shaking is a major pane in the you know where!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
My seat vibrates when driving, like most, but if I hit a bump, it rattles. It's an audible tapping noise and it's driving me nuts, especially with the atrocious roads around here. I may just start taking off the trim and any other components until I can figure out where it's coming from and fix it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This was normal with some of my previous cars...but not all...as long as it doesnt bother you...I think it is fine as well..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got a 2013 Hybrid and see the seat shaking at higher speeds. I bought it used from a Subaru dealership. Took it to a Kia dealer and had $150 inspection done, pointing out all the things I was concerned with. The seat shaking, Kia said, it needs a SEAT BACK. What is this and is this something that will ACTUALLY fix the shaking. I drive for ride share and its horrible for the people in the back to see this happening. My 2012 ex didnt do this!!

Im not okay driving with it like this at all, and moving the seat back all the way to TRY to get it out of my peripheral view is not a fix. Not going to settle for that on a daily basis.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Looks like thread revived after 5+years, but the '11EX-T doesn't do it.
I would think that one would get in the back and try moving the back of the seat or head reast & determine what the problem might be, then fix.
Personally, never had a car that did this and if it did it would drive me nuts!!!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
30 Participants
Turbonut
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing