Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Optima SX Turbo
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find any similar threads.

Attached is a photo of some kick guards ( I assume). A friend of mine says these should be removed when the car is sold, but I thought these were for paint protection in areas that could be kicked, etc. and should stay on the car.

Can someone school me on this?

Thanks all!

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
I have them on my 2018 SXL as well; looks like someone was a bit lax in removing the excess wax residue in that photo though...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
Guess it must be for the 4G, but got to say haven't noticed them. Good idea though as it will stop the sandpaper grit that comes off the road from damaging the paint.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
LOL it's all in fun--I've been guilty of that back in the day...

FWIW I put clear bra film along the door sills, door handles, and trunk sill as well--IMHO it's not overkill; ever see how much the door handle wells get scuffed up with fine scratches? Ditto the door sills where your feet and/or legs somehow manage to rub against the door sill whenever you exit the vehicle...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
On the old '08, the very front of the qtr. pass side behind the door, paint completely gone.
As I try and not touch the rocker when getting in, so somebody must come along and kick it as the paint gets marred, so I like the idea of the clear film on the rocker. I do have it on the rear bumper and that also certainly helps.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
8 Posts
I made the fatal mistake of not having these replaced/installed when I had my car repainted. They are definitely necessary to protect the paint at that location, otherwise the factory would not have applied them in the first place. Every penny counts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
LOL it's all in fun--I've been guilty of that back in the day...

FWIW I put clear bra film along the door sills, door handles, and trunk sill as well--IMHO it's not overkill; ever see how much the door handle wells get scuffed up with fine scratches? Ditto the door sills where your feet and/or legs somehow manage to rub against the door sill whenever you exit the vehicle...

My driver's side door handle well, no scratches... Passenger side door handle well, scratches everywhere...:cautious:

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
143 Posts
My 2016 SXL has them too, so I guess from 2016 on they have them. Maybe it's trim dependent as well. At any rate, if they start coming off, I'd remove them, but it's better to keep them in there. And yes, I clean the edges every once in a while, since a dark contour looks like crap on a white car. I think it also has clearbra behind the door handles, but don't remember if it's that car or another. I don't really need them, but some people scratch the crap out of the paint behind the handles.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
Clear bra behind the door handles is either a dealer-installed option or third-party aftermarket install. Me--I purchased the Kia-branded ones off Ebay and installed them myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.