Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have slowly gone from wanting a different vehicle to seeing how long I can make this one last.

I'm on my second engine. I have a feeling it will not last as long as the first. First one went out right at 130k. Not bad. They replaced it for the recall, and the new one has the "lifetime warranty." Thing is, when it was replaced last winter, I noticed what I would describe as a dry valve noise a week in. Almost as if the oil scheduling is lacking for the valve assemblies when accelerating from a stop. It goes away after driving for a bit, but already caused concerns. I brought it back to same dealer and the mechanic sat in the car and heard it too. Said he would be fine getting it back in the service department. Well then the outbreak occurred and I had to leave my college town early to head back home. Courses went online, and I graduated. Now I'm in my hometown across the state and I definitely feel the dealership here would be less willing to help. City dealership. New engine is at about 30k, car is at 160k.

A new, possibly related issue, is a lower engine rumble when accelerating. Again it goes away after driving, but it definitely happens more often than the higher valve sounding noise. Happens when accelerating out of first as well.

What are your guys opinions on the situation? Anybody have any ideas on the noises? Should I mess with the new or old dealerships?

I've got mechanical background and even looked at the engine swap in the manual. Looks like with the special tooling and removing it from the bottom that's out of the question. Correct me if I'm wrong on anything, lol.

I appreciate any advice. I've loved my almost ten years in the car, and despite it's problems, will hold on to it for as long as it makes sense. Main thing is I'm reading about how post-lawsuit settlement, Kia is getting stupid about replacing them again. Despite the supposedly "lifetime warranty."

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts
Dropping engine/trans is really not a hard job as the entire subframe and all the components drop down, however,
I'd certainly shy away from that course of action. Having said that, it's very difficult to diagnose engine noises w/o
hearing the sound, not much faith in dealerships, but if the sound is really annoying can't hurt to have the local
dealership take a look, just a lighter pocket. Yes, the engines come with a lifetime warranty so just keep driving
and hope for the best.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Much appreciated. That's pretty much where I'm at as well, haha. I'll try to get some sound clips.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts