Kia Optima Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,529 Posts
I wouldn't attempt it HA
No, I wasn't entertaining you changing the cover, although might get some enjoyment watching, just that the labor cost should be nominal if someone were to do the replacement. The cover is very thin and don't think it's the problem, but I've been wrong before, just tough w/o see the problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I watched them take the cover back to look underneath it and yes it is a fast easy process for them to do. I paid $100.00 for the second opinion I got and it took the tech all of 10 minutes to remove the cover and put it back.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,529 Posts
I'm holding my breath waiting for the final assessment after parts are replaced.
Got to let us know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I talked to the service manager today and asked her to ask the Kia rep if the cover could be replaced as in can Kia help in this situation or give me a discount of sorts if I pay for the cover etc. She said she would ask but I think she wanted to tell me to go pound sand :) I think it is fair that they are replacing the foam and I appreciate that so I am not pushing for the Dealership to eat the cost of the cover too. I consider the cover collateral damage Ha but it simply isn't right. I assume I will be replacing the cover down the road but something inside made me ask. I have to add here that this is my second Kia and any issues I have had up until now , Kia has been most accommodating!
Man this thread could be a book!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Let's just consider it a short story.....................maybe it might turn into a novel.
Let's just consider it a short story.....................maybe it might turn into a novel.
Next chapter...I got my car back today and the replacement cushion made a big difference thus far but I get to looking closely and I now have a dent in my Kia door kick plate (whatever it is called) the weather stripping is caught underneath the plastic casing and there is a hard lump within the channel of that stripping that I have know idea what it is. It is smooth on the passenger side though and my plastic cover on the door is now squeaking as well. Can you inform me what parts of the door-pillar etc. are removed when a seat is taken out? Tomorrow they will hear from me but this time I am going straight to the top! If you or anyone else in the forum can educate me on what parts get removed when a seat is taken out I would appreciate it so I can be certain of what I am dealing with.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,529 Posts
Welcome back! They probably removed the what I/we call the kick plate, but in Kia's vocabulary it's a scuff plate. If not removed, the seat track(s) can do damage to the finish, scratch/nick the plastic when seat is removed from the car. Maybe they even removed the weatherstripping to ensure that it also wasn't damaged.
Time for a body cam so I can see the face on the Top Dog when they are confronted by, shall we say an irate customer.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,693 Posts
Could you share a picture with us, showing the new issues?

You probably would want to have photographs of the issues anyway, to show to the guy at the Kia service desk.

Also, what is the door squeaking you mention, how do you trigger the squeaking to happen?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I took it back in and had them check all the plastic pillar and door covers to make sure they were locked in and he checked the rubber weather stripping as well. He claims that he didn't remove any of those parts when he replaced the seat foam so he couldn't have caused it. My husband said that maybe they kneeled on it or had their hands pressed on it while working forcing the rubber seal under the plastic cover. This rubber seal issue is no big deal, I know this, I just wanted them to see what shape it was in when returned to me. They are going to order another kick plate and call me when it comes in. I swear to you, when ever pieces and parts are removed, they never go back on the same! I hope the new seat foam holds and resolves the problem. I am still perplexed as to how my original seat foam broke down so extensively after the heating element was replaced. I tried to express my concern that my leather cover was showing new stress cracks since this happened. They acted like I was nuts! Well, I came across a video last night showing how to replace a seat cover. The first thing they said was "If you have leather upholstery, be sure you replace the foam under it as well because leather will immediately crease and crack while sat on without firm support."
If I end up deciding on a new cover I will go else where to have it done.
I decided not to go to corporate today because they agreed to replace the kick plate and I am simply exhausted by this experience! My car will be out of warranty in about 1500 miles and then I will no longer use a dealer for my maintenance..
Thanks for all your help and I am sorry I don't have a juicier ending to this saga (At least not yet) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Could you share a picture with us, showing the new issues?

You probably would want to have photographs of the issues anyway, to show to the guy at the Kia service desk.

Also, what is the door squeaking you mention, how do you trigger the squeaking to happen?
Hi, pictures won't show the new issue. The squeaking is in the plastic covers over the seatbelt area and that cover that goes down to the floor and carpet. This is a matter of having the pieces properly snapped back into place. The rubber seal was caught under the plastic cover that is at the bottom of the door frame and rests on the carpet (Nothing major, just annoying). As I said in my response to Turbonut, it was basically rushed workmanship. There was a dent in my kick plate but they have agreed to replace it and they checked the plastic pillars and covers and claim they are properly snapped in place. I just hate having repairs done involving removing interior pieces because nothing fits the same when put back.
Thanks for your response and help, I appreciate it!
Ps I do take pictures of my car and have learned to do so before a service call because pictures are dated and can prove before and after results

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Welcome back! They probably removed the what I/we call the kick plate, but in Kia's vocabulary it's a scuff plate. If not removed, the seat track(s) can do damage to the finish, scratch/nick the plastic when seat is removed from the car. Maybe they even removed the weatherstripping to ensure that it also wasn't damaged.
Time for a body cam so I can see the face on the Top Dog when they are confronted by, shall we say an irate customer.
They are fighting me on replacing my scuff plate. If I order one myself, is there much work involved in replacing it? It looks like it is only $35 dollars on line.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,529 Posts
They have maybe 4 fasteners on the back that snap into the rocker, so need to get a corner started and then just carefully lift as you move along the outside of the plate. To get started, don't use a screwdriver as it can damage the paint, need to use something e.g. plastic trim tool,
Just an example:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
They have maybe 4 fasteners on the back that snap into the rocker, so need to get a corner started and then just carefully lift as you move along the outside of the plate. To get started, don't use a screwdriver as it can damage the paint, need to use something e.g. plastic trim tool,
Just an example:
Thank you. I ordered a new kick plate and the service department that gave me the "second" opinion on my seat problem told me they would install it for me for free.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,529 Posts
Free!!!! Wish I had that effect on people. Just hope they don't tamper with something else while it's in there, but should be easy peasy.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,529 Posts
Before you pick up the car, take some Valium and let us know the outcome.
Hope it's now a done deal, but we'll miss the, shall we say saga.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I have the car. The new foam seat made a huge difference! I still can't figure out what they did to it in the first place that caused the structure of the foam to deteriorate like it did.
Now, lucky for you Turnabout...because I have one more item to address on my car before it is out of warranty and that is a stress fracture on the corner of my trunk panel by the light.
This has already been approved by Kia to be replaced. The part is ordered and ready to be painted. This is the panel with the logos on it. This will be done at the second dealer who gave me the second opinion on the seat. I am a nervous wreck because I don't trust any of them. I wish I could supervise the job but somehow I don't think that's going to fly :cool:
Stay tuned!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
973 Posts
Turnabout...hmmm I think I like that name better than Turbonut. Yeah, I think I'll refer to you as Turnabout instead, Turbonut! 🍻

41 - 60 of 67 Posts