Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You probably know by now that the pad comes with the cushion, hence to cost.
Actually the first dealer should take care of the problem as it was part of a warranty repair that they failed to do properly. In warranty booklet, there is some jargon about a dealer that fails to do a warranty repair correctly, Kia should be notified and they will make a determination as to the correction, and that has happened.
Good luck
Actually, I asked the serviceman at today's dealership if the pad came already installed in the new foam cushion and he said no. This is partly why I couldn't believe the cost of a new cushion.
I may have to go back to the original dealer for KIA to get involved with the cost of the repair. I just don't know yet. I feel frustrated because as I said before, the first dealership has been very good to work with and they have, in the past, gone above and beyond in customer service and I have let them know how much I appreciated it but when I went back 2 days after the original install with my concerns, I felt I was basically being brushed off , even though I was told that I could meet with the head mechanic and the manager, it never happened. I have to get this done correctly because the seat is now getting lumpy underneath the leather fabric and I can only imagine it will get worse with time.
At any rate, thanks for letting me vent!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,529 Posts
Hey, no matter what dealership you deal with, at some point in time there is a distinct possibility that there will be a confrontation, and second, no pun intended, you're a female.
Personally, I can't stand the stealership, and having a mechanical background it's worse as some are just inept, not only the mechanic, but the service writers.

Guess we'll see why the part is so expensive, but I did check and looks like the pad is not available separately for the H/C seats, and the cover lists for $2244, so let us know as I'm curious.

What a nightmare for a simple heating pad replacement done under warranty.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I am not one to back down from an uncomfortable situation and being female has earned me a certain "title" if you will at times when I have had to stand my ground :) That being said, it is never fun to deal with these situations... no matter one's gender!
I am a bit confused as to how a tear in the foam is causing this pad to form lumps under the cover if the pad is made of one piece and is secured in place by the hog rings.
I will certainly keep you informed. I should know something by Monday according to Kia.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just spoke to the manager at the second dealership I went to yesterday and he explained to me that yes the foam is torn but he thinks they damaged the underneath side of the actual cover when taking everything apart and that is why I am feeling and seeing lumps. This makes more sense to me. He thinks replacing the cover may be a solution to consider. Does this sound plausible to you?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,529 Posts
I am not one to back down from an uncomfortable situation and being female has earned me a certain "title" if you will at times when I have had to stand my ground :) That being said, it is never fun to deal with these situations... no matter one's gender!
Sounds like my wife as it's like getting the proverbial tiger by the tail when someone tries to flimflam her, especially when it's related to a car.

As far as I know, they don't use hog rings anymore as the cover is pulled into place and reinforced plastic sleeves are slide over the seat frame.

Long while ago, purchased a used Jeep Grand Cherokee and when sitting in the driver's seat it felt like I was siting on golf balls that were placed in various locations under the cover. What had happened was that the driver's seat heater wasn't working so someone tried to repair, and not only didn't they fix the heater pad, they just threw in the "foam". I took it apart, installed new heater then cleaned out all the padding under the cover and added polyurethane foam then the cover.

Bottom line, I agree, warranty work to make it like new replace the cover with the padding and it'll be good to go.

Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sounds like my wife as it's like getting the proverbial tiger by the tail when someone tries to flimflam her, especially when it's related to a car.

As far as I know, they don't use hog rings anymore as the cover is pulled into place and reinforced plastic sleeves are slide over the seat frame.

Long while ago, purchased a used Jeep Grand Cherokee and when sitting in the driver's seat it felt like I was siting on golf balls that were placed in various locations under the cover. What had happened was that the driver's seat heater wasn't working so someone tried to repair, and not only didn't they fix the heater pad, they just threw in the "foam". I took it apart, installed new heater then cleaned out all the padding under the cover and added polyurethane foam then the cover.

Bottom line, I agree, warranty work to make it like new replace the cover with the padding and it'll be good to go.

Let us know the outcome.
When you say replace the "padding" is that part of the heating element or are you referring to the actual foam?
Your wife and I are cut from the same cloth :)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,529 Posts
In the Kia, the seat heater is a specific unit for the ventilated seats, and the pad is part of the cushion, albeit thin.
Just wanted to add, never had a 4G seat apart, buy on our '11 with the heated/ cooled seats they are like sitting on a rock, so therefore don't believe that there can be much padding.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
In the Kia, the seat heater is a specific unit for the ventilated seats, and the pad is part of the cushion, albeit thin.
Is the leather cover actually glued or adhered in any way to the heat element or pad? When the original seat heater was removed could the underside of the leather cover been damaged? If I understand correctly the seat heater is one unit that includes the seat and the seat back. Correct me if I am wrong. The seat back is fine I am having no issues with it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,529 Posts
Seat heater is a separate unit, not attached in any way to the cushion assembly or to the seat back cover. Both cushion heater and seat back heater can be purchased separately.
This is how it's listed in the OEM parts catalog #26 & #8
Hope this is what you're looking for.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Seat heater is a separate unit, not attached in any way to the cushion assembly or to the seat back cover. Both cushion heater and seat back heater can be purchased separately.
This is how it's listed in the OEM parts catalog #26 & #8
Hope this is what you're looking for.
View attachment 248296
I asked whether or not the heating unit was separate for the seat and the back and someone along the way told me it was one unit for the entire seat and back. I can assume then that the reason the seatback is in good shape is because they didn't have to mess with it since it was the cushion element that needed replaced. The original dealer called me yesterday to bring the car back so they can look at it. I told the person who called that I wanted to talk to the head mechanic first before I come in so I know we are on the same page. She said she would have him call but so far I have not heard from him.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Sounds like they are having a rehersal before they call you.
I met with the mechanic today at the first dealership. They are going to put a new foam insert in and a new heating element. I was able to see the underneath of the leather cover and it did not look damaged and the one slit in the foam seat he said is suppose to be there. I do think he agreed that the structure of the seat is not correct though. He thinks the coils from the heating element are what I am feeling under the leather cover. I don't know for sure. If the leather cover is getting too soft and stretched that may also be a contributing factor. For now they are replacing the foam and redoing the installation of the heating element. What do you think? Also, how much is a new leather cover for a 2016 KIA optima? Where do I find that information? Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Look down to the second illustration #14:
I found it Thank you :) It looks like my seat cover would cost me $441.90 to replace plus labor. I am glad they are willing to work with me but I honestly am still not certain that the leather cover hasn't been stretched and it is causing the problem. I am seeing more stress lines in the leather since the cover has been removed at least 3 times now plus the car is 4 years old. My concern is what if they replace the foam and heating element and the dips and bumps are still there! Have you ever replaced a seat cover? Mine is the burgundy red leather (aubergine). I am wondering if it will match the rest of my seats if I chose to do it.
I guess what I would like to know from you is should I go ahead and except their offer to replace the foam and heating element (Their dime) or should I insist on replacing the seat cover instead. I don't think they will do both nor am I trying to take advantage of them or Kia, I am simply not sure what the root of the problem is. A weird scenario for sure!
Once again thank you so much for your help and I am so grateful they are cooperating.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I think the fact that the leather cover is 4 years old and has been taken off and put back on 3 times now and will be removed for a 4th time when I bring the car back for the foam insert, has stretched it. I think this may be part of the reason I am feeling the puffy padding material from the heating element under the cover. I am also seeing new thin creases that run along the perforations in places they were not apparent before. I suppose I will have to think about this tonight and call the service manager in the morning to express my further concern. It would only make sense to have it all done at once when they do the foam. As I said though I don't know if a new cover is going to stand out like a sore thumb in color (Dye lot) since it is the red leather.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,529 Posts
New cover shouldn't stand out like a sore thumb, at least as color is concerned, but why not let them replace just the heating pad and cushion, then if you don't like the cover replace it. The cover is fairly easy to remove/replace.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts