Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2011 K5 K5
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im driving minding my own business and i decide i want to use the cooling seat feature of my Opti. Turn it on full blast (two lights), after 5 min of patiently waiting for the cooling sensation... nothing. So i turn on the wife's seat.. nothing (according to her). I turn them off, wait 10 min and try again.... nothing. I try reverse psychology on the car and turn on the heated seats full blast... they heat, both of them. Turn them off, turn on the cool and whaallaa .. i feel the fresh breeze on my back and butt. lovely... but i dont want to have to do this everytime i want cool. Anyone have this happen to them? Or have the cooling not work at all and heat work? Is the amount of cool coming out of the seats relative to the temp and fan settings of the AC?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have not yet figured out how the seat cooler works. It goes on and off on its own most of the time. Maybe it has something to do with the auto mode or temperature settings.

·
Premium Member
2011 KIA Optima
1,751 Posts
So im driving minding my own business and i decide i want to use the cooling seat feature of my Opti. Turn it on full blast (two lights), after 5 min of patiently waiting for the cooling sensation... nothing. So i turn on the wife's seat.. nothing (according to her). I turn them off, wait 10 min and try again.... nothing. I try reverse psychology on the car and turn on the heated seats full blast... they heat, both of them. Turn them off, turn on the cool and whaallaa .. i feel the fresh breeze on my back and butt. lovely... but i dont want to have to do this everytime i want cool. Anyone have this happen to them? Or have the cooling not work at all and heat work? Is the amount of cool coming out of the seats relative to the temp and fan settings of the AC?

Thanks guys!
Found this link, which explains it all in detail.

Optima?s new seat technology for greater comfort

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have not yet figured out how the seat cooler works. It goes on and off on its own most of the time. Maybe it has something to do with the auto mode or temperature settings.
I also noticed its quite weak cooling, but it does work. leave it on for 10-15 minutes and your back isnt sweating and the seat is very cool to the touch.

Turn it on, on a day that isnt 90 degrees, and you will feel it right away.

it does not turn on and off on its own. if yours does, take it to the dealer

Reactions: Herrick

·
01/2012 ROTM
2,432 Posts
The 2011 SX I drove would chill my butt so much that you had to turn it down or off to prevent icecicles. My rearend felt like it was in a freezer so my car worked awesome. If you are having issues getting it to cool, I suggest a visit to your dealer as mine worked better than any car I have ever driven with cooled seats and I was pleasantly surprised:D

Reactions: Herrick

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine seem to work fairly well. I had a buddy of mine in the car, and just to see I turned them on his seat without him knowing. In about 2 mins he was like, "why are my B*#@$ chilled on this seat?" lol

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mine seem to work fine at this time for both the heating and cooling. Perhaps a side benefit for you guys trying to become fathers... keep it on cool :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I love my seat coolers. I use them regularly and it will probably be snowing again before I don't use them. I get hot easily so it's a welcomed feature and a big selling point of the car for me. My wife doesn't care as much about them as me because she gets cold a lot easier. Cars these days with seat heaters & coolers plus dual climate control make it easier for a couple like us to remain happy together. lol

·
Registered
923 Posts
I love my seat coolers. I use them regularly and it will probably be snowing again before I don't use them. I get hot easily so it's a welcomed feature and a big selling point of the car for me. My wife doesn't care as much about them as me because she gets cold a lot easier. Cars these days with seat heaters & coolers plus dual climate control make it easier for a couple like us to remain happy together. lol
This!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I do feel that on same days it works better than others but it's probably because of the type of clothes I'm wearing on a given day.

Also this may sound silly...but the way I see it is that it's pulling in air from under the seat. So whatever the temp is of the air that's what it will be pushing. So I make sure that if I'm going to use the seat coolers I have the air blowing down to the feet as well....even the vent to the back seats I have pointed down towards my seat.

If it really works or not, not sure, but I feel that it would benefit the cause.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The cooled seats only work well when you have the AC on. They don't have any cooling mechanism of their own, just fans that circulate the air in the cabin. In fact, the owner's manual says to use them only with the AC on to prevent damage/overheating (I think I read it in the owner's manual anyway).

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,637 Posts
Well in areas with more humidity they may not work as well, but mine work pretty well here in AZ! Here is what I do... wait a few moments after starting the car *unless it's 115 out* so the AC can start to work (set to Auto so blowing out the dash only) and then I flip on the seat, then as car is cooling I add the air to the floor and as everything is cooling I will sit forward occasionally to allow my shirt to move and more air in to "reset" the shirt against the seat and allow the cooling to continue (typically i go back to dash only air as I am turning the fan down in steps). Unless it's really hot out I don't keep the seat on all the way home from work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine works fine with the A/C on auto. Im not sure how its getting the cool air under the seat but it must somehow! In eastern NC we have plenty of humidity and they work wonders for me!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does anybody know if the seat back is cooled/heated as well? So far I've only noticed the seat bottom portion getting warm. I've been a little disapointed with the seat cooling but I think that's because I wasn't using it right. I don't think I had the AC on.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does anybody know if the seat back is cooled/heated as well? So far I've only noticed the seat bottom portion getting warm. I've been a little disapointed with the seat cooling but I think that's because I wasn't using it right. I don't think I had the AC on.
The backs definitely cool as well. I usually run the temp at 67 both sides w/the fan speed set at 2 or 3 and my seats cool great. I also run a mix of vent & floor so maybe that has something to do with it too. Might want to try that. Also, when it's been on for a while lean forward for a little bit as that's usually when I notice the back more. Maybe leaning forward allows for more circulation or something. Dunno.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The backs definitely cool as well. I usually run the temp at 67 both sides w/the fan speed set at 2 or 3 and my seats cool great. I also run a mix of vent & floor so maybe that has something to do with it too. Might want to try that. Also, when it's been on for a while lean forward for a little bit as that's usually when I notice the back more. Maybe leaning forward allows for more circulation or something. Dunno.
Thank you sir. I will give that a try tonight!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Only the bottoms get warm , no cooling at all. I had the back seat apart today.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts