Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife's 2013 Optima SXL has had an issue over the past month where if she has to brake suddenly the RPM gauge drops to 0. It will stay at 0 until the car is stopped, shut off and then turned back on. Also when this happens the car will stutter/loss of power for a few seconds on acceleration, once you are up to speed it seems fine.

No check engine lights on dash and i did not pull any codes with a scanner.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any luck with this issue OP? I too am having this issue with my 2011 SX Turbo Optima, but when I bring it to the dealer I can't show them exactly how to re create this issue so it's like "chasing a ghost" (as the manager at the dealer said). It happens randomly and sometimes it happens while I'm on the highway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So its been awhile but the issue started to happen less and less often till about 1-2 months ago we discovered that it infact wasnt the brake peddle causing the issue but the horn.

Every time someone would pull out in front of her or cut her off and she has to press the brakes hard she was also honking her horn. So sure enough every time i tested this, it was happening.

Finally got it into the dealership for a recall issue and had them check this as well. At first they told me they want to fix the turbo return feed line(recall part) first to see if that fixes it (i knew it wouldn't) then if not they would diagnose further.

This morning they call me and tell me the issue is still happening when pressing the horn and that upon further inspection the technician feels that it is the clock spring in the steering wheel.

We have an appt set up in a week to have that replace. Will have an update after that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Partial update.

When they returned the car after diagnosing the issue there were more problems then when i took it in the first time. None of the steering wheel controls worked. The horn no longer worked at all and the airbag light was on. Also there was a very audible clicking when turning the wheel left and right.

I was told that all this was was due to the failing clockspring and that when the technician was diagnosing the problem it must have fatigued even more and failed completely.

Today we took the car back to the dealership and 2 hours later they call me and tell me everything is fixed. Well it seems they fixed the airbag light and the clicking (which they caused). I didnt even get to check the audio/cruise control buttons but i tried the horn and immediately the cars RPM gauge dropped to 0, A/C shut off completely and loss of power like before.

So the car is back at the dealer to get looked at tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
kyle04
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing