Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia EX Luxury
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 Kia Optima has had this issue for awhile now, probably should of looked into it a lot sooner. Today the electrical mechanic found that the fuse that was drawing power was the "Room Lamp Fuse 10A". Turns out this particular fuse powers almost everything electronic in the vehicle.

This includes the following:
  • A/V & Navigation Head Unit, Audio, Smart Key Control Module, Overhead Console Lamp, Crash Pad Mood Lamp, A/C Control Module, BCM, AMP, Power Outside Mirror Switch, Driver/Passenger Door Mood Lamp
  • Car won't start without this fuse plugged in
  • Lights won't work without the fuse plugged in
  • and more than that
l don't have the exact fuse diagram.

Has anyone come across this particular issue? My mechanic told that if he just goes one by one through the 12 different modules connected to this single fuse that it could take many hours, but if he could get any ideas from someone that has come across this before I could have him start with particular ones.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2011 Kia Optima has had this issue for awhile now, probably should of looked into it a lot sooner. Today the electrical mechanic found that the fuse that was drawing power was the "Room Lamp Fuse 10A". Turns out this particular fuse powers almost everything electronic in the vehicle.

This includes the following:
  • A/V & Navigation Head Unit, Audio, Smart Key Control Module, Overhead Console Lamp, Crash Pad Mood Lamp, A/C Control Module, BCM, AMP, Power Outside Mirror Switch, Driver/Passenger Door Mood Lamp
  • Car won't start without this fuse plugged in
  • Lights won't work without the fuse plugged in
  • and more than that
l don't have the exact fuse diagram.

Has anyone come across this particular issue? My mechanic told that if he just goes one by one through the 12 different modules connected to this single fuse that it could take many hours, but if he could get any ideas from someone that has come across this before I could have him start with particular ones.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
FYI - you can still start your car and use lights if you insert your key fob into the glove box slot (at least you can on my '13 EX), but when you stop the car and remove the fob the car will seem dead as before.

·
Registered
2011 Kia EX Luxury
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FYI - you can still start your car and use lights if you insert your key fob into the glove box slot (at least you can on my '13 EX), but when you stop the car and remove the fob the car will seem dead as before.
Thank you, but the issue is that overnight something is drawing enough constant power when the car is off that it doesn’t have enough power to turn over.

But yes I can turn on the lights and radio without the engine starting that way. But the issue remains that there’s not enough juice to start up the car still.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,209 Posts
How long does the car need to sit before it gets to the point where there's not enough power to turn the engine over? In any case, the only thing I can suggest is a long and tedious plan of troubleshooting--start with pulling as many (if it's not possible to do all) of the interior lights, let the car sit overnight and then see if it'll start; if it does, then see if you can locate the plugs for some of the other equipment (BCM, mirrors, HVAC) and unplug them one by one.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,217 Posts
Just had this problem on the wife's Acura TL, not fun, but using a mm while disconnecting each of the 11 items......It was the p.w. master switch.
If one can, get behind the fuse box with a T pin and go to town.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.