Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I've been mostly post whoring more than anything else trying to find info on all and anything at the same time.

I've always loved the rally car style mud flaps look, and I have found this company RokBlokz and wounder if anyone has ever installed these on their car? I know they do not make them for the Optima, however, perhaps they ones they make for the Sonata fit. Waiting on them to reply to this questions, if anyone has any input or better ideas, LMK.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
Are those mudflaps generally like flat stiff rubber? If so, I think you might want to try making a template out of cardboard, and then line up with the Optima wheel well to poke the holes in the right spot. Then, trace the template onto a stiff rubber doormat of the same type as the RokBlokz, and cut it out using a blade then mount.

At least, it seemed like a very basic flat design, and you could approximate the shape by looking at the pictures online.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are those mudflaps generally like flat stiff rubber? If so, I think you might want to try making a template out of cardboard, and then line up with the Optima wheel well to poke the holes in the right spot. Then, trace the template onto a stiff rubber doormat of the same type as the RokBlokz, and cut it out using a blade then mount.

At least, it seemed like a very basic flat design, and you could approximate the shape by looking at the pictures online.
Thanks King, did think about that one, but wasn't really looking into starting to produce and make some for myself since they are semi-rigid. I also want to avoid the home made look.

Pony, I already have the OEM guards on the car, and want something more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just ordered the universal kit and should see these show up in a few days. I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to install these, but will try and do it asap. I will post pics once install is complete.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I received the guards a few days after ordering them, even with cross-boarder shipping, it was pretty fast. Nice, quality product.

As previously mentioned, since they do not make an Optima guard, I opted for the universal ones. So the project begins, and time is the key word here, since you need to take it in order to install these.

I began with a cardboard cutout from my WeatherTech floor mat box. It's a stiff cardboard, and works perfectly for this kind of job.
Material property Wood

After a few up and down, left and right tests, I ended up with my final fit, and marked my holes on the cardboard accordingly. Since the guards come with the RokBlokz Iogo on them, I took the time to draw a quick picture of the logo on the cardboard for measuring purposes. The front end was much trickier, but with a little patience, I managed it pretty well.
Alloy wheel Automotive tire Tire Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive exterior Auto part

Once I got the final fit on both front and rear, I marked my holes on the same piece of cardboard (1st pic). The front end is kind of a PITA, since the guard isn't as wide as the OEM one, so it needs a second screw point. This is where I went looking through my stuff, and found a 1/2'' aluminum flat rod I had lying around. So, I shaped it to the same form as the OEM guards second mounting point, and drilled two holes. Screwed the home made bracket to the car, installed the mud guard, and marked the second mounting point to the guard with a silver colored Sharpie.
The pic is with the bracket installed to the guard just before installing it to the car.
Blue Asphalt Leg Road surface Floor

The job took a few hours, and I managed to do the whole thing without removing any wheels off the car. Well...actually not true, I did remove the front one at first, but realized I did not have to, since I used a very small precision wrench I have for tight spots.
Below are the guards installed.

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Land vehicle Vehicle Alloy wheel Car Wheel Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Tire Wheel

Mud guards are a love/hate thing. I've been in the motorsports business for well over 25 years, so I'm more on the love side of the equation. I also live in a place where winters are pretty harsh with all of the road salting and small pebbles thrown on the streets. I failed to put guards on my 2013 EX+, and after four years, the sides where showing signes of sand blasting. So with the RokBlokz, I've got this covered.

Now to finish off the look, I should be getting my new Euro Design wheels this week I hope. Once installed, this should complete the look of the car. I'll post some pics with the wheels installed in the 4th Gen Pics post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts