Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys so i wanted to leave some review about the Raamaudio's sound deadener package. RAAMaudio - Automotive sound deadening products
I've bought their package #1, which comes with sound deadening aluminum faced deadener and foam deadener (Ensolite). Now, the aluminum faced product is good, but nowhere near as good as their Ensolite. I'd actually recommend you go buy some cheap roofing aluminum faced membrane (some home improvement places have sound deadening like material that's also peel and stick). I think it'd be best to use Raamaudio's sound aluminum faced deadener, cheap roofing material on top, and then Ensolite. Seriously, the ensolite is miraculous when it comes to making the car quiet.
The package #1 wasn't enough to the entire floor of the car to the trunk. I've started from underneath the front console to made it halfway underneath the rear seats, but when i say i started from the front, i covered every inch of the car. If you don't use as much material at the front, you'll have enough to cover the entire floor. I think i might buy package #2 (larger quantity) to do my trunk, doors, and roof? but i'm not sure if i wanna invest so much in soundproofing the car...
you also need one of these:

Trust me, you can't apply it without one of these... i'd say get 2" and 4" or 2" if you only want to invest in one. The 4" would make the job much faster but you can't get to smaller areas and would be useless. Also, for tight corners, use the back end of the handle to apply pressure.

Before applying the sound deaender, you have to remove everything interior of your car. It's not a process for the faint hearted... I actually ended up putting everything back together with 6-8 "extra" screws and bolts.
It took me good 3-4 days of working about 4-6 hours daily to start and finish. But during this time i've also installed K5 Optima's UNAVI X2.

Here's a picture of my car with everything removed (taken from the trunk)

before applying these material, make sure to vacuum and wipe down with alcohol to get rid of everything that's not metal. Buy their peel and stick material, they're extremely easy to use. They're really sticky but you can lift them off the car as long as you haven't pressed them in, once you've applied pressure, it's never EVER coming off. trust me... i tried to fix it and i couldn't. Same thing with the Ensolite material, once they're on, they're staying!

For the actual performance review
The RaaMat BXT wasn't that amazing, it did dampen the sound a little bit, but i wouldn't even recommend using it as a stand alone system. When i was doing the knuckle test, it barely made a difference.
The Ensolite on the other hand makes a night and day difference. Seriously, it almost completely kills the sound from my hitting the frame of the car!
Here's a video sample:
[/URL]

Overall thoughts
I'd say it's definitely worth your money if you want a quite ride! But the loud noises will remain loud. The nicely paved roads are where this product really performs well. The regular streets can still be somewhat loud, don't expect the sound proofing of an luxury car

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've been using there products for years, great stuff.

Let me add my 2 videos to this just because a knock test is done from the outside ;)

and later the doors done here

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah... the whole time i was taking it apart, i kept thinking "what am i doing with my life?" lol
WOW!!! That was an awesome review. Thanks for posting that. Not only that but for actually pulling apart your entire vehicle. I've wanted to sound deaden, but I don't have the patience.

yeah i gotta agree with on the performance, it's really good! but i still don't like how much road noise is still present on not so good roads... it seems to really work well on well paved roads and not so much on regular roads
I've been using there products for years, great stuff.

Let me add my 2 videos to this just because a knock test is done from the outside ;)

and later the doors done here

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
gmoney... how thick is the carpet and under padding in the Optima? Do you have 2011 or later?

The wife and I notice our 2013 SX is much quieter than our 2011 SX was. I wonder if they attempted to add deadening or just implement small fixes... for example in the doors they did away with the little trap door that covers the screw in the arm rest handle area and replaced it with a rubberized cover to eliminate the plastic rattle the old cover caused. I've noticed a few other of these changes during the course of modding and was curious.

I would love to add some of the heavy (very heavy) high density foam that BMW uses under their carpets and behind dashboards. That stuff is better than any other deadener I've seen in the aftermarket. Just not sure where to get the stuff. Would add at least 100lbs to the vehicles though I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have a 2012 ex. I still have the plastic cover for the arm rest hand screw... I'm not sure how thick the carpet was, but the carpet itself wasn't that thick, BUT the carpet has sponge like sound deadener/cushion in the critical places. Also, under the dashboard, there's a huge and super thick foam that acts as a sound deadner also. Raamaudio's product is definately good but i do wish they had ensolite that's like twice as thick... it works really well but i just wish it was much thicker so i can have the luxury car's quietness...

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
^Ya I hear you. Thanks for the reply. I may try some ensolite or similar product in the future, but I think many of our car's sound problems are coming from wind noise and the suspension... most of which would be impossible to dampen out unless you do some sort of seal enhancement on the windows or something, and strengthen the chassis with something like the stiffeners Throwdown offers. Not entirely sure as I haven't spent a bunch of time on it since it is much quieter than the 2011 so gives us a "feeling" of being quiet... lol.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
677 Posts
If you guys haven't already I would suggest you checking out sounddeadenershowdown.com. Its a great site for education and products.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you guys haven't already I would suggest you checking out sounddeadenershowdown.com. Its a great site for education and products.
yup checked them out and followed their advice but also did a lot of things by "feel" lol.
But definitely a good read

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so a small update, after much online reviews, i've sort of determined that raamaudio is a good starter's pack, but I do wish i had gotten sounddeadenershowdown.com's products isntead.
Their products are a bit more expesnive but apparently work much better and use less material.
This is the cheaper option obviously, but I'd highly recommend going with better quality product since you're putting in so much effort into this modification anyway

1 - 10 of 10 Posts