Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought these about 2 months ago from Will @ Karbon Koncepts, and were the first mod I did to the car. I was originally planning on getting the regular black ones, but the carbon fiber ones stood out for a few reasons. The carbon fiber has a glossy texture and shows reflections in it, whereas most vinyl carbon fiber has a matte texture to it which looks cheaper imo. The appearance also changes depending on the lighting and angle, for example from some angles they look glossy black, and if you move to the side a little bit the carbon fiber pattern appears. So this is a pretty cool effect, like having two different finishes in one.

emblem1.jpg

The steering wheel emblem (which is black, not carbon fiber) was kind of tricky, and for some reason the emblem can move around slightly if you move it with your hands, but moves back into the same position if you let go. Hard to explain but I think it's because of the material on the steering wheel that the emblem sticks to. This might not be the case if you stuck the emblem on top of the stock emblem, but I removed my stock emblem before putting this one on. Another thing to mention is there there is a thin metal lip on the outside of the steering wheel emblem, which you should not push in with a tool when sticking it in on the steering wheel. It will bend back, and if you bend it in one spot, you'll have to bend the entire metal lip uniformly or it will look uneven along the edges. You won't be able to bend it back either because you would have to get under the edge, but you wouldn't be able to after you already applied it to the steering wheel. So just push in the center of the emblem when applying it, not the outer lip. Don't worry about accidentally pushing the lip with your fingers, because you'll only be able to if you use a screwdriver or a similar tool on it intentionally like I did, which is why I know it shouldn't be done, lol. As far as how the emblems have held up to the elements, they still look like they did when they were brand new. Recommended for sure, makes the car look a whole lot better, the appearance of the KIA emblems just don't compliment the car like these do.

Update: A year later they still look as good as new, no issues with chrome pitting or anything like that and I live in Socal where it's sunny almost all the time.
Picture I just took:

·
04/2014 ROTM
2011 SX
3,607 Posts
IThe steering wheel emblem (which is black, not carbon fiber) was kind of tricky, and for some reason the emblem can move around slightly if you move it with your hands, but moves back into the same position if you let go. Hard to explain but I think it's because of the material on the steering wheel that the emblem sticks to. This might not be the case if you stuck the emblem on top of the stock emblem, but I removed my stock emblem before putting this one on.
It happens when applying over the stock emblem as well. I'm glad you posted this as I was debating starting over and removing the stock but it sounds like the results will be the same... I suspect removing the original emblem and using the secondary tape provided may resolve this.

-stoli-

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It happens when applying over the stock emblem as well. I'm glad you posted this as I was debating starting over and removing the stock but it sounds like the results will be the same... I suspect removing the original emblem and using the secondary tape provided may resolve this.

-stoli-
I did use the secondary tape, so there's probably not a simple solution to this but it's not really a big deal anyway.

·
03/2015 ROTM
2013 Duh EX
2,119 Posts
Wheel cap emblems (and yes bought from one of the certified vendors) were toast after 3 months. Outer protective clear covering curled up and came loose around the edges. Hood and trunk still going strong though.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
29,061 Posts
Wheel cap emblems (and yes bought from one of the certified vendors) were toast after 3 months. Outer protective clear covering curled up and came loose around the edges. Hood and trunk still going strong though.
Did you remove the outer protective clear covering when you first purchased them? I've had several customers that weren't aware that there was a protective covering on them and after a few months, the sun baked that clear covering and cooked it onto the outer portion of the emblem. Just curious if this possibly happened to you as well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Did you remove the outer protective clear covering when you first purchased them? I've had several customers that weren't aware that there was a protective covering on them and after a few months, the sun baked that clear covering and cooked it onto the outer portion of the emblem. Just curious if this possibly happened to you as well.
I think that happened to me, cuz now my emblems look like a crack whores face =[

·
03/2015 ROTM
2013 Duh EX
2,119 Posts
Actually I did remove them. They were very thin and had a blueish tint if I recall. This stuff is thick.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Have had these CF K Badges on for almost 9 months or so. The Trunk's badge had chrome pits that showed up and is now starting to flake off. Just ordered new front and rear Red K badges and I hope these will last longer. Lots of sun here in Hawaii so I think that may have caused the badges to degrade. Does anyone know if it'd be a good idea to spray a clear coat on them before installing?

·
Banned
2012 Kia Optima
1,870 Posts
Thanks for sharing Blake.

This is a good example of how the chrome flaking is not a problem that will continue to exist moving forward. There was a specific batch of emblems that were having issues and we immediately contacted the manufacturer to get it resolved. We've sold this product for nearly 3 years now and up until recently, have never seen any issues.

Thanks again Blake. I think it's important for people to know that issues can occur but more importantly that we're willing to help make it right!

·
Premium Member
2011 Kia K5
4,160 Posts
Thanks for sharing Blake.

This is a good example of how the chrome flaking is not a problem that will continue to exist moving forward. There was a specific batch of emblems that were having issues and we immediately contacted the manufacturer to get it resolved. We've sold this product for nearly 3 years now and up until recently, have never seen any issues.

Thanks again Blake. I think it's important for people to know that issues can occur but more importantly that we're willing to help make it right!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
128 Posts

Just got my 3 piece set from David at K5. I panicked when I opened them and realized that there was a protective covering over them. Once I got a closer look at everything these look fantastic. I have yet to get them on the car, but this quality is way better than what I have on the car right now. Looking forward to getting these on the car on Thursday afternoon. Totally worth the wait, thanks again David; Superb Customer Service as always.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
342 Posts

Just got my 3 piece set from David at K5. I panicked when I opened them and realized that there was a protective covering over them. Once I got a closer look at everything these look fantastic. I have yet to get them on the car, but this quality is way better than what I have on the car right now. Looking forward to getting these on the car on Thursday afternoon. Totally worth the wait, thanks again David; Superb Customer Service as always.
I just got mine today as well! I got scared as **** when I saw bubbles but it was protective film haha. I agree, so worth the wait and of course, David has shown great customer service!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
29,061 Posts

Thank you again for your business and for hanging in there during the long wait to receive them. I appreciate you leaving this review and for the nice words about me. ;)

I just got mine today as well! I got scared as **** when I saw bubbles but it was protective film haha. I agree, so worth the wait and of course, David has shown great customer service!
Yep I had to add something to the site about that because we've received about a dozen emails from customers asking if we could replace them since hey assumed they were defective.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
128 Posts
David, Customer service goes a long way with me. The fact that you stayed in communication with me regarding the emblems as well as the other multitude of various questions I have has earned you a customer for as long as I own my Kia.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
29,061 Posts
David, Customer service goes a long way with me. The fact that you stayed in communication with me regarding the emblems as well as the other multitude of various questions I have has earned you a customer for as long as I own my Kia.
Thank you for this post. I appreciate all of your support and will continue to offer the same level of customer service we have always offered in the past. I am very thankful for your business.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts