Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I'm new around here. I have a 2017 Optima LX. It has the low beam projector and the non-projector high beam, both halogen. I bought an Auxbeam LED conversion kit on Amazon that was recommended in Google searches.

I installed the first high beam LED, and it had a burning smell along with a tiny bit of smoke. I turned the headlights off and put the original halogen bulb back in and all is well. No smell, no smoke, works just fine, and I've never had an issue with the headlights before.

Any idea what could be wrong? The wiring appears to be in great shape. And honestly, I couldn't identify exactly where the smell/smoke were coming from, as I had the bulb installed in the housing. I suppose it's possible I just need to wipe the LED clean, because I likely touched it with my bare hand before installing. However, I didn't want to risk fire or other damage.

Any suggestions? Here's the kit (Amazon) I purchased. Unless something is wrong with the particular product I received, I can't see a reason this would be an issue. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Is it possible that the issue is because the high beam is not a projector?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say you've just bought a piece of cheap chinesium, and replace it. Go with these instead:

I use Hikari LEDs exclusively, and they've never let me down. The price versus performance just proves the old adage: "You get what you pay for"
Hmm, I'm both surprised and not surprised, all at the same time. :D Thanks for the recommendation. They have very solid reviews (the Auxbeam). But it happens. shrug Do the Hikari LEDs not require the voltage regulator (the Auxbeam does)? Or is it built in somehow?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even better. Somehow I never ran across those in my past searches, and I searched for a while before deciding. The ones I bought have that small voltage regulator and I had to tuck it into the headlight housing. :/

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
562 Posts
The Hikari units have a driver assembly, but that's normal of all LED headlamp bulbs... It gets warm, but should never be hot enough to smoke.
Did the gold color on the auxbeams you bought fade near the top, and is there heat damage near the base? those are signs the company that built those is driving a lower spec CREE or similar LED chip far beyond its rated capacity.
Some thermal effects are normal, but only at the emitter tip, never near the base.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
There are no signs of damage on the bulb/its assembly whatsoever. No burn marks, no discoloration, etc. I only had the light installed and turned on long enough to walk to the driver door, turn the lights on and walk back to the front end where I smelled the smell and saw the bit of smoke. Not even a full minute, maybe 10 seconds of "on" time.

That's why I was asking if oils from touching the LED directly or something like that may have just caused the oil to burn. Because there are no other indications of an issue, that I can see.

The other thing I don't understand is that EVERY SOURCE online seems to say that the 2017 Kia Optima LX has 9005 bulbs for both high and low beams, for the single projector style (which I have). HOWEVER the high beams are indeed 9005, but the low beams are H7. Why is that?!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know what happened. I went out a while later to test them again, and all was well. They look just fine, and no smell/smoke. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Weird, but I'll take it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Even better. Somehow I never ran across those in my past searches, and I searched for a while before deciding. The ones I bought have that small voltage regulator and I had to tuck it into the headlight housing. :/
Haha. I'm just glad I didn't have to deal with returning it and buying another one. The low beam bulbs should be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you no longer have any issues with those led’s just keep using them until they burn out on you, I have tried many different brands and there’s just some really cheap stuff out there. But headlight revolution.com is the best place to get great led products I recently put in the GTR lighting ultra 2 in my low beams and cannot be more satisfied. I’m actually replacing all the exterior lighting with GTR lighting products top of the line great quality. Just yesterday I replaced my LED reverse lightbulbs with GTR lighting 1000 lm reverse light bulbs and they are just amazing!! Extremely high grade Quality light output. I don’t have any issues backing up now even with my 5% tint

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you no longer have any issues with those led’s just keep using them until they burn out on you, I have tried many different brands and there’s just some really cheap stuff out there. But headlight revolution.com is the best place to get great led products I recently put in the GTR lighting ultra 2 in my low beams and cannot be more satisfied. I’m actually replacing all the exterior lighting with GTR lighting products top of the line great quality. Just yesterday I replaced my LED reverse lightbulbs with GTR lighting 1000 lm reverse light bulbs and they are just amazing!! Extremely high grade Quality light output. I don’t have any issues backing up now even with my 5% tint
Nice! Well, I ordered the H7 bulbs for my low beams, also Auxbeam. They sent me the wrong bulbs (H11)... -_- So I returned them and bought the Hikari H7s instead. I installed them with little issue, other than fighting initially with the H7 adapters I had also bought. They look good now though, no worries. I'm expecting to receive extended dust covers today so I can put those on.

I think reverse lights may be next. Before the headlights, I had already installed LEDs for the dome/map lights. And eventually may do the turn signals and brake/tail lights as well.

My Optima is the LX base model, so I'm trying to spice it up just a bit. I still love the car, but these things make me like it even more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice! Well, I ordered the H7 bulbs for my low beams, also Auxbeam. They sent me the wrong bulbs (H11)... -_- So I returned them and bought the Hikari H7s instead. I installed them with little issue, other than fighting initially with the H7 adapters I had also bought. They look good now though, no worries. I'm expecting to receive extended dust covers today so I can put those on.

I think reverse lights may be next. Before the headlights, I had already installed LEDs for the dome/map lights. And eventually may do the turn signals and brake/tail lights as well.

My Optima is the LX base model, so I'm trying to spice it up just a bit. I still love the car, but these things make me like it even more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts