Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: Is it recommended to replace or "rebuild" the TPMS sensors when replacing tires?

I had my local Kia dealership (not a tire shop) replace the worn tires on my 2016 Kia Optima SXL with identical tires (Michelin MXM4).
I asked about replacing or "rebuilding" the TPMS sensors as part of the tire replacement. The advisor said that it isn't necessary to replace the TPMS when replacing the tires. I asked about the battery life, and he said there isn't a battery to wear out.

Every other shop that I checked with had charges to rebuild the TPMS components, so I'm confused.

Should have insisted on replacing the sensors, or will they typically last another 3+ years until I need to replace tires again?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,103 Posts
I "rebuilt" the TPMS sensors when I put new tires on the car (2011 Optima) back in 2017, but when I replaced the tires in 2019 I didn't change anything, and as far as battery life, the time seems to vary, maybe 5-10 years. The '08 that the daughter's using have the OEM sensors, no problems yet, but the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee died 2 years ago.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
220 Posts
I just put new rims/tires on my car and decided to leave the old ones complete and put new TPMS sensors in the new setup. Figured at 4.5 years old, battery life might not go another 4 years. Bought a set off Ebay for $50. New, marked Continental just like the OE's and have had nothing but issues. Every 20 miles I get the TPMS malfunction light. Discount Tire can reset it and it comes back in 20 miles. After 3 attempts, I took the car to Kia and all 4 are reporting RF Channel Failure. Ordered new ones from Kia...pick them up today. Tried to save $100 and it's costing me...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,103 Posts
I also purchased a set off ebay for a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 3 good, 1 bad, just more aggravation, find the culprit, break tire down, change, etc.
Unusual that all 4 were bad, but one thing I dislike about the Kia is the TPMS system where the sensors need to be assigned to the computer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts