Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Optima sxTurbo
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear brakes are squeaking when I brake at low speeds which is annoying at stop lights. I checked and I can feel a slight groove on both rotors. I checked the pads as well and they have a good amount of life left in them. So would the issue be the rotors wearing way before the pads or could it be the pads need replacing because they’ve worn, even though it's not down to the sensor yet? I already bought some oem brake pads and plan to just replace those on the old rotors but wanted some second opinions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
34 Posts
Not a mechanic here, but go to an Advance, Pepboys, Auto Zone or something like that and see if the rotors are in need of correction\straight. I just changed mine both front and rear...having issues with right rear bolts on control arm.

Might as well change pads if you have the $

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
First thing you could try is to remove the thin metal shim on the back of the pad, and see if that helps.

Another is to try the anti-squeal grease, applied on the back of the pad between where the metal contacts the piston, and the edges of the pads where they slide against the housing.

Generally, there are various points where metal contacts metal, or metal slides against metal. Did you use grease on all of them?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
Exactly. Much less hassle to let an expert mechanic assess the situation.
I certainly wouldn't say that the people at AZ, PB, Adv., are expert mechanics, actually just the opposite.

To OP, the pictures look fine, try what KF stated. Test, when braking and hear the noise, step on the brakes
harder and the noise will probably stop, so make certain the holders are lubed, and both back sides of the
pads have anti-squeal applied

1 - 4 of 4 Posts