Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I hope everyone's doing good, I purchased an aftermarket head unit to replace my 2014 Kia optima ex Uvo with navigation. I was wondering if the bottom part of the Uvo unit where the fm/am buttons are is removable? The aftermarket navigation does not seem to provide that button section so I'm wondering if when I install the aftermarket nav I'll be left with an empty missing hole where the uvo buttons are supposed to be. I've posted pics here, I hope someone can answer this question. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
432 Posts
Hello, I hope everyone's doing good, I purchased an aftermarket head unit to replace my 2014 Kia optima ex Uvo with navigation. I was wondering if the bottom part of the Uvo unit where the fm/am buttons are is removable? The aftermarket navigation does not seem to provide that button section so I'm wondering if when I install the aftermarket nav I'll be left with an empty missing hole where the uvo buttons are supposed to be. I've posted pics here, I hope someone can answer this question. Thank you.
If you buy an aftermarket solution with AC vent holes (no vent louvers), then it will likely not work with your car. The AC vents are built into the plastic shroud of our cars, so you wont have any way to direct the airflow if you replace it with the aftermarket version. Plus, the buttons do appear to be built into the head unit as one piece. The UVO/NAV unit is nearly impossible to replace from what I've seen on these forums. I wish it wasn't mandatory on my SXL and now I'm stuck with it forever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you buy an aftermarket solution with AC vent holes (no vent louvers), then it will likely not work with your car. The AC vents are built into the plastic shroud of our cars, so you wont have any way to direct the airflow if you replace it with the aftermarket version. Plus, the buttons do appear to be built into the head unit as one piece. The UVO/NAV unit is nearly impossible to replace from what I've seen on these forums. I wish it wasn't mandatory on my SXL and now I'm stuck with it forever.
I was able to replace it with an Android head unit but not without a shitload of issues lol, steering wheel controls don't work and the backup camera had to be replaced. The sound quality dropped and it's buggy. I heard that it's possible to replace the navigation buttons from an Uvo to a non uvo navigation HVAC controls, I ordered a used one online and I'm gonna give it a shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
432 Posts
I was able to replace it with an Android head unit but not without a shitload of issues lol, steering wheel controls don't work and the backup camera had to be replaced. The sound quality dropped and it's buggy. I heard that it's possible to replace the navigation buttons from an Uvo to a non uvo navigation HVAC controls, I ordered a used one online and I'm gonna give it a shot.
LOL - your experience is exactly what I meant. It may technically fit, but we loose so much in the process or have to resort to jerry-rigged work-arounds that it makes the upgrade more troublesome than most would prefer.

Thanks for continuing to try though. I'll be very interested in your results as this may be our best option. As you alluded to, we'd first have to downgrade our HVAC controls to the EX Premium version with Auto Climate and Digital Display (what you have shown). Then, find an aftermarket head unit with a proper canbus control module to integrate with the factory amp and steering wheel controls. I read somewhere on this forum that we also need some sort of "step down converter" to install between the factory camera and the aftermarket head unit, but I have no idea what exact device is required for this.

I can't live without my backup camera.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL - your experience is exactly what I meant. It may technically fit, but we loose so much in the process or have to resort to jerry-rigged work-arounds that it makes the upgrade more troublesome than most would prefer.

Thanks for continuing to try though. I'll be very interested in your results as this may be our best option. As you alluded to, we'd first have to downgrade our HVAC controls to the EX Premium version with Auto Climate and Digital Display (what you have shown). Then, find an aftermarket head unit with a proper canbus control module to integrate with the factory amp and steering wheel controls. I read somewhere on this forum that we also need some sort of "step down converter" to install between the factory camera and the aftermarket head unit, but I have no idea what exact device is required for this.

I can't live without my backup camera.
I knew there was gonna be some sacrifices made haha, I might do a video on it once it's completed because I have not seen anyone do it on this trim of optima, I've seen people add android head units to the Lx optima but have not seen anyone done the ex and up trim with the uvo navigation. I had to replace the backup camera with a camera that plugged to the Android HU, I didn't wanna go through the trouble of figuring out how to make the OEM camera work, even with the 12 to 6 volt converter the OEM camera would look blurry AF on the new HU . The steering wheel controls are basically a lost cause because those signals go through the canbus and we all know how amazing quality control in China is, so I added wireless Bluetooth steering wheel controls and they work fine but look stupid. The infinity sound system works fine but I'm not an audiophile, the issue with these android head units is that they're made in China and their tech support is about as helpful as a baby using Google so you're basically on your own when you decide to install one of these in your car.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
432 Posts
I knew there was gonna be some sacrifices made haha, I might do a video on it once it's completed because I have not seen anyone do it on this trim of optima, I've seen people add android head units to the Lx optima but have not seen anyone done the ex and up trim with the uvo navigation. I had to replace the backup camera with a camera that plugged to the Android HU, I didn't wanna go through the trouble of figuring out how to make the OEM camera work, even with the 12 to 6 volt converter the OEM camera would look blurry AF on the new HU . The steering wheel controls are basically a lost cause because those signals go through the canbus and we all know how amazing quality control in China is, so I added wireless Bluetooth steering wheel controls and they work fine but look stupid. The infinity sound system works fine but I'm not an audiophile, the issue with these android head units is that they're made in China and their tech support is about as helpful as a baby using Google so you're basically on your own when you decide to install one of these in your car.
You're really making me not wanna ever upgrade my system now 😢

1 - 9 of 9 Posts