Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SXL
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kia recently replaced the complete long Block in my car (2014 sxl) and it almost seems as though they are maybe detuning them so they don't have future issues like maybe they lowered the compression ratio or change the valve timing a bit? I'm not saying it's now a dog just seems little less.

Has anyone else that has had their long block replaced under warranty noticed any difference?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,226 Posts
I wouldn't put anything past Kia, but would be surprised if they altered the engine internally in any way, but first I'd check the boost to see if correct @ 17.5 psi.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Could also be that it's not broken in yet?

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,461 Posts
Just follow the engine break-in procedure in the owner's manual. A few key points from the manual, vary the engine's RPMs a lot by doing a good mix of city (stop/go) and highway driving (and DON'T use the cruise control) as well as DO NOT exceed 4,000 RPM for the first 600 miles (so no "spirited driving" - for now).

I'm about done with my 600 mile break-in for my recently replaced engine and I've already changed the oil/filter with Castrol EDGE 0W-40 oil and a Fram ULTRA XG9688 filter. Feels fine to me thus far!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
5 Posts
I've put almost 20k on my replacement long, short, and turbo (they basically did a full replacement), and it actually ran better. It's been solid for almost a year and a half now. Runs 3very bit as good as the original did before any issues.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,500 Posts
The engines should be identical. Supposedly they have better machine of the small oiling passages and have been cleaned much better. Heard there are also more oiling paths but that could be rumor. Enjoy your new engine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kia recently replaced the complete long Block in my car (2014 sxl) and it almost seems as though they are maybe detuning them so they don't have future issues like maybe they lowered the compression ratio or change the valve timing a bit? I'm not saying it's now a dog just seems little less.

Has anyone else that has had their long block replaced under warranty noticed any difference?
Yes. I am having the exact same issue with my SX. I really don't like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts