Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some guys can remove the Eng Cvr with 1 finger But I've sometimes had to call a gorilla.
Changing my PCV recently ($11.48) I cracked my Eng Cvr at Top Rt where 2-Prongs are inserted close together.
I even had trouble un-screwing those 2 with a vice grip -- a tech friend with a cordless driver easily removed them....
I can think of no reason to have them there & suggest you do same ... leaving the top-far-left and oil cap prongs to hold the cvr .... & (more likely) net No Cracks.

Font Auto part Bicycle part Metal Fashion accessory

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,470 Posts
That is odd. I wonder if it makes some sense to put some dry lube in those sockets?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@williamhood .... I think T'nut suggested that BUT WHY mess with those 2-Far Rt Plugs when the remaining 2 will hold it on.
Will Dry-lube remaining 2....4 an Invitation to a cracked Cover IMO -
What genius design engr decided you needed 4 very-tight-fitting Plugs to hold that cover On?
It's not like a wind draft will lift it up out of the sockets.

IF you see this, IF you were re-doing your multi-Drain-Fills might you try the ex-Toyota mechanics method of running the engine and Pouring in New Fluid until it showed at the Drain Port?
Sounds too good to be true. I'm at 53K and likely will do something at 60K.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,319 Posts
Better think twice about changing the fluid with the engine running as you wouldn't believe the amount of fluid that comes out so quickly, and keeping the new fluid flowing into the trans is a job. The old style transmissions with the large filler tube is a lot easier as the tube is easily accessible and one can keep the new fluid flowing quickly with a large diameter hose.

To me, dumping >4 qts, is a lot easier, still annoying the way the correct full level is done, but you'd still need to do that either way, so just do the drain/refill as often as you like. Any change is better than the lifetime fluid that the manufacturer claims.
Our old 2.4, lifetime fluid, but did do a drain/refill only once in 294,000 miles no problems, and the 2.0T was done at 170,000 miles when I changed the temp sensor, but not again and now at 234,000.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Points taken & Thanks.
Smaller Fill Hole not a part of original logic & Toyota mechanic must have dealt Only with bigger ones.
So multi-Drain-Fills it is.....

Reactions: williamhood

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,470 Posts
I'm with Turbonut on this one. I once did the "run the engine" while trying to dump fluid without it running out of fluid and running dry the tranny pump and messing it up. It was very nerve racking and if I messed it up, there goes that transmission (it was a 1998 Nissan Maxia SE).

MUCH safer and less mess to just to the true Drain & Fill method. I suggest using the larger inspection port on the front of the transmission (once that area has been cleaned of grit and dirt of course) with a flexible funnel like was mentioned for putting in fresh fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts