Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just wanted to reach out to see if there is a way to remove the upper front bumper without removing the whole bumper? Like the part that the grill is screwed into, it seems like there should be since it seems pretty free wiggling but I tried searching online and only seemed to find results for removing the grill and then just the whole bumper. The reason I am asking is because I have some switchback led strips I want to install starting at the inner corner of the light house and have them wrap around onto the top of the light housing...I can probably get it done without removing the grill housing but it would be a lot easier to mount them exactly perfect without having to use one hand to pull the upper bumper away, and I wanted to add an extra strip of 3m molding tape but probably won’t be able to add extra to that part of the light without getting the upper bumper out of the way.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 lx
71 Posts
Just remove the bumper, not too hard and it’ll make for an easier cleaner install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m just nervous about cracking it or breaking clips. I was looking at pics and I may have been wrong, is the 2011 SX bumper one whole piece...like the grill surround and the lower bumper part? I know the grill can be removed by itself. I guess I’ll check out the process to remove the whole thing, just didn’t want to go through all of that to mount the led strips in between but you are correct to get best possible fitment and secure mounting with extra 3m molding tape I don’t think it can be wedged in there without having the grill surround out of the way...or without compromising the tape stickiness and that kinda defeats the whole point of using proper 3m molding tape for semi-permanent install. Cause that tape they use on most led strips is trash, barely even sticks for a day or two and 3m mounting tape has held my inner grill LEDs for 4+ years

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just went ahead and listened to you. Wasn’t THAT bad as I built it up in my head, but also not as easy as some people make it seem. GD that Korean designer who was like let’s use one more bolt to fasten each side on, these two nuts aren’t enough! Lol. And don’t get me started on those philips head plastic retainer clips. I think I ruined like 3 or 4 trying to unscrew them because they get stuck to the plastic retainer they are screwed into...ended up having to use a speed out stripped screw bit set to just fully ruin them and back them out. I’m sure they’ll still work putting back in temporarily but if I want to remove this again is there any upgraded retainers I could get than these pos OEM ones? Maybe a metal screw that goes into a female plastic retainer? The heads of these plastic screws seem to strip so easily, especially when they’re stuck. Also if you apply any sort of upward pressure they don’t even want to back out so that’s kinda a catch 22 when they’re also stuck in causing the female retainer to twist as well! Ugh but at least I got it off!! Def gonna listen to that guy on the how to and not use the front bolt on each side. Such a PITA to take off. Can only imagine tryna tighten it back up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts