Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had incident yesterday with a lifted truck :( i was switching lanes to the right lane and he was passing me from behind and he sped up and his back left tire rubbed against my right quarter panel and a part of my front bumper on the right. There was SWP paint on his back tire. No body damage at all for him. I got a majority of the burnt rubber off and there are 2 small dents right above the bend(???) on my quarter panel and about a 2x3 inch area of paint that was taken of by his tire on my bumper. Any recommendations on how to fix this and where to take it and what would I be looking at price wise? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,575 Posts
Can't quit understand the location of damage, right Q/P rear of car and the front bumper?
If you don't have collision insurance, take it to a body shop for an estimate, but the SWP is a bear to match and some won't blend in areas, like the bumper, they will paint the entire bumper, and quarter panel, fix damage and repaint. They might want to blend in the SWP with other panels, so just check what they will do and cost.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right front quarter panel and front right bumper. Appreciate the advice. I have collision insurance but would rather not claim it to avoid paying $500 deductible and have my rates increase.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,575 Posts
Sorry, but there is no r/f qt panel, so I'm assuming you're speaking of the fender and bumper, but get a couple estimates and go from there, just a guess, maybe $1200/1800. SWP is expensive.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are correct, my bad. I'll attach a few pics after work to give you and others a better idea of the damage/work needed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2020 hybrid got rear ended by a semi while I was stopped behind several cars. Total damage came in at $15K which insurance paid except for about $400 due to length of shop time (6 weeks) and rental Jeep going beyond the normal 4 week rental with the insurance. The SWP paint was expensive and it was listed in the parts as Paint= $1026 which may also include the SWP, base coat, and clear coat too. They also had to shoot it twice as manager did not like the first spray and match.

Smaller scale, I hit the garage upright backing in late at night with an old Toyota. Dented right rear QP only. Cost was $1,600 and it was gloss white and not a pearl SWP paint. I paid that in cash knowing my insurance would make up for it in new premium.

Aside, I don't know why but it seems too many people tailgate me in the Optima. The bright flash of the LED brake lights (One in rear window pulses three times.) and I think it delays their response time a bit and "Wham!" I've been thinking about getting a phoney trailer hitch looking setup make of plastic sticking out a bit to make them back off. I've also added a dsh camera for a "Proof of accident device" should I need it. Wish the things came as an factory option from Kia.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,575 Posts
Not just an easy dent/paint repair as the fender has been pushed upward as the gap between the fender/hood has been compromised.
My advice is to get a couple of estimates and go from there. Some companies have an accident forgiveness policy and some won't access an accident if they don't pay out more than $500.
Years ago had $1300 body damage done to my car, turned into a curb, rocker/fender extensions etc.
so had State Farm pay $500 and I paid the balance $800, no chargeable accident.

Shame we have insurance, pay through the nose for years, end up with an accident and get a surcharge.

My 2020 hybrid got rear ended by a semi while I was stopped behind several cars.
Hope you received diminished value from the insurance company.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts