Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been suggested that I install a Catch Can System to avoid excessive carbon build up on intake valves due to Direct Gasoline Injection (DGI) on my 2018 Kia Optima that receives very low yearly mileage and most often city driving.

Any experience, recommendations for a specific Catch Can brand and any other suggestions to avoid carbon build up.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
To make it simple, just look for a catch can with 1 inlet, 1 exit, internal filter/baffle. Some come with a mounting bracket for a specific model to make installation easier and also an optional external drain kit if desired.
Without a catch can, one can do intake cleaning with CRC Intake Cleaner. The company states to use every 10k miles which I think is overkill, but that isn't going to cause any problems, just time/money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Turbonut, finally a reply without some undesirable comment, such as buy a Toyota or get a real car. This vehicle came to me as a result of the death of a close friend relieving his survivors of some debt as his medical bills were unbelievable.

I understand the CRC process must be initiated ahead of the throttle body, am I correct. If so, how do you do this?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
I actually placed a T in the PCV hose to apply the cleaner, but one can just remove the PCV hose at the PCV valve connection at the valve cover and spray into that hose, but use a cloth to cover the opening so as the car won't stall.
Just to ease your mind, I had 175,000 on our '11 2.0T, and no problem except high oil consumption which required a new engine that Kia installed free of charge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again and understood. Will be purchasing a Catch Can System soon and the CRC Treatments seems simple, will try it.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
LOL wow is it really that simple when it comes to applying the (CRC) intake cleaner in our Optima GDI engines? Just spray it into the PCV valve, fire up the engine, and let the cleaner do its thing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I watched a video on Youtube and that is exactly what a guy did, but he added, increase the idle, had his wife setting in the car with slight acceleration and spray the CRC slowly as to not kill the engine. He added the vehicle had a rough idle for about 10 minutes, but after driving it a few miles it returned to a normal smooth idle. So I guess it is as easy as Turbonut described.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Simple, only problem is that one needs to make certain the open area of the hose be closed off after the spray nozzel be inserted to avoid and overly lean condition and car stalls.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
369 Posts
Hey Tonester. Yes it's real easy. Like Turbonut said, the key is not letting too much air get into the hose while spraying the CRC. I believe I used a rubber grommet to take up the excess space. I had no one to hold the rpms at 2k, so I just wedged a 2 foot level between the drivers seat and the gas pedal. Worked like a charm.
As far as my OCC, I bought it off Ebay for $20, and then bought the mounting bracket from David at K5Optima store (think it was like $30). Its amazing how much stuff I empty out of it every couple of months.
20190513_214013.jpg

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,681 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums @Dallas Cop 2566

Congrats on getting your 2018 Kia Optima.

I would recommend going with our ADD W1 V3 Oil Catch Can

It is a single inlet and single outlet baffled catch can, and is all you would need.

Let us know if you have any questions about it, or if you would like to order with a discount.

-David

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima 2012 Kia Optima LX
33 Posts
I've read some on "catch cans" and I see that that they are mainly used on diesels, but some cars here too. Question: are they recommended for ALL of the KIA engines? I'm especially interested in my 2012 Optima 2.4L GDI engine. I see the oil getting dirtier than I would expect for the mileage. I've seen this in both the original engine and its replacement. However, I will admit that the most of my driving is around town with occasional trips on the tollways. MPG is reasonable. I'm heading for a dealer oil change (blended not full synthetic) tomorrow @ 6 mos &1700 miles since the last one. Changing full synthetic oil with few miles seems like a waste of money. Comments?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Money well invested when installed on the 2.4 or 2.0T, and it certainly can't hurt anything as long as no leaks. Just get the catch can for the PCV side and don't worry about the "clean" side.
One enter, one exit with an internal filter/baffle.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,681 Posts
I've read some on "catch cans" and I see that that they are mainly used on diesels, but some cars here too. Question: are they recommended for ALL of the KIA engines? I'm especially interested in my 2012 Optima 2.4L GDI engine.
Oil catch cans are beneficial on almost all vehicles, but especially so on "GDI" engines or "Gasoline Direct Injection"

You absolutely will benefit from the usage of an oil catch can on your 2.4L engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts